Discuss exporting earth for garage? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi,

moving/replacing sockets and lights in a garage because its being paritioned.

garage is concrete, has no gas or water and is about 1 meter opposite the house with a gate passageway inbetween.

changing existing supply cable from 2.5 clipped twin and earth to swa because it is knackered from years of UV exposure.

question is, it is a tnc-s system, so could someone elaborate on the earthing arrangement required in the garage?

i think an earth electrode should be introduced somewhere, but should it be a sole means of earthing? should the steel wire be earthed from the houses tnc-s supply..

maybe these are basic questions but thought id ask anyway

thanks for your time.

You can class it as an extended equipotential zone here no need for any TT-ing, rodding etc. There's a boatload or similar threads that cover this topic if you wish to understand why.

A "Pub" member asking about "exporting an earth"? Shame on you!

It's quite amazing really, just how many electricians have been brainwashed into believing that your not allowed to extend a PME/TNC-S equipotential zone!!

But you're right, the OP Must have seen/read the multitude of threads here on this very subject.
Perhaps he's a slow learner!! lol!!

Guess what. - my scheme provider (well, last one, moved onto another robber) told me .... NEVER export PME. End of!!!!

this was my assessor!!!!!

Guess what. - my scheme provider (well, last one, moved onto another robber) told me .... NEVER export PME. End of!!!!

this was my assessor!!!!!

I'm BSI Kitemark, and we do things a little differently.... I got into a chat with our overall technical technical advisor a while ago when trying to decide the boundaries of what was and wasn't domestic dwelling on a complex setup that one of my clients has with multiple 1ph and 3ph DNO feeds around a rambling former farm complex (five supplies in total) - and after kicking it around for a bit his advice to me was to follow the PME, and wherever the 'PME cloud' ended [as distributed from the principle dwelling MET] then that was the dwelling boundary.

So that was a definite thumbs up to having no issues whatsoever with exported PME.

he read it in news of the world so it must be true. or was it the bald dwarf and melinda ( drops 'em for sure ) messygirl mentioned it.

@Spartykus-Guess what. - my scheme provider (well, last one, moved onto another robber) told me .... NEVER export PME. End of!!!!

Your assessor is correct you cannot export PME, i think your getting your terminology mixed here - you are extending the Equipotential zone not Exporting PME, the PME or TNCS stops at the service cutout and becomes TNS.

@Spartykus-Guess what. - my scheme provider (well, last one, moved onto another robber) told me .... NEVER export PME. End of!!!!

Your assessor is correct you cannot export PME, i think your getting your terminology mixed here - you are extending the Equipotential zone not Exporting PME, the PME or TNCS stops at the service cutout and becomes TNS.

Whilst the pedant in me partly agrees with the technicality, the reality is that we all know exactly what was meant!

Whilst the pedant in me partly agrees with the technicality, the reality is that we all know exactly what was meant!

I was just expressing that this is often a big area of confusion on the forum and could actually understand if members have misinterpreted what they were told although with all due respect to Spartykus i think his yrs of input and advice hes not one to be in confusion and more than likely just a badly worded post...

I was just expressing that this is often a big area of confusion on the forum and could actually understand if members have misinterpreted what they were told although with all due respect to Spartykus i think his yrs of input and advice hes not one to be in confusion and more than likely just a badly worded post...

Yes yiu're right it was badly worded:freak:

Btw I don't mind pedantiness or being corrected!!! Its the nature of our jobs. In my opinion.

Btw I don't mind pedantiness or being corrected!!! Its the nature of our jobs. In my opinion.

Yes did sound a bit pedantic but not intended but yes agree entirely with you, we all be a right grumpy old angry gits otherwise ..... now have we any members that fit that mould ;) lol

Reply to exporting earth for garage? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net