Discuss Extending twin and earth, non maintenance.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
We had this discussion in lecture this week...

Extending 2.5mm twin and earth underneath non accessible floor boards...had loads of mixed opinions..

Experienced professionals...whats your thoughts on this? Jb? What ones do you recommend etc?

Thanks

It's perfectly acceptable providing you use the correct jointing method.

Hager do some nice maintenance free junction boxes, then there is the lovely Wago/Wagobox combination. Ideal do a box for their push fit connectors which I believe is MF.

There are other methods, but these are probably the most common ones.

Ideally you would seek to minimise joints, especially those that are inaccessibile, but sometimes it's the only option.

My personal preference is the Wagobox installed in accordance with the included instructions which detail the constraints of using them in a maintenance free way.

As above, get a MF style of junction box and read and follow the instructions.

Typically you need to use only the specific connection blocks they are designed for, and to follow details like a cable tie on the lid (in addition to the box's own lid-retaining retaining clips).

Also double check that the area the junction will sit is OK, not lying on underground soil that might flood long before anyone sees high water, etc.

Hager MF jb's for me. Like wagos, use them alot but if you're doing a MF joint with them, & you want to do it correctly it seems you have to be careful about the correct box/wago combination, or use of inserts bits etc?

The lecturer is abit pre wagos. He mentioned that all jb should be accessible for maintenance reasons... I and a few others questioned maintenance free jb's..

Years ago if we put JBs under floors we would cut a trap in the floor board and then write on the floor board ‘electrical junction box’ or words To that effect...on the board.
so if the next bloke rolled back the carpet it would be clear & obvious that a JB was under the floor board. The could Unscrew then trap and hey presto easy access to the Jb.
the issue came later if / when laminate flooring started to be used more often and all these JBs were made inaccessible unless you ripped up the laminate.
hence MF boxes are now a thing

Reply to Extending twin and earth, non maintenance.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net