Discuss External floor lights, WHY? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

GBDamo

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Has anyone seen any of these last more that five years?

Even then the work involved in resolving issues becomes crazy expensive.

I think these are mostly specified by architects and no sane Spark would suggest them.

Here's some I had the misfortune to be asked to "get working", yeah right.

The circuit was supplied direct from a DB at source via a timeclock. From there was anyones guess, leaves in 2.5SWA arrives in 1.5 flexing flexi-con.

20210820_094403.jpg
20210820_094426.jpg

There were five of them surrounding this glass atrium with no obvious wiring route or source, they were all individually wired, not looped, so somewhere there was a buried JB where the SWA came in and the flex split off.

20210820_112150.jpg
20210820_112208.jpg

After much deliberation I found a solution that fit the clients budget.

20210820_124208.jpg
20210820_125939.jpg
20210820_125949.jpg

The yellow cement does fade as it dries. I quite enjoyed this very therapeutic.

I agree they are pointless and are rarely constructed to repel the forces of nature. Had some a couple of weeks ago around a sports hall ten in total the first five working the last five nothing and randomly tripped the rcbo. These were of remarkable quality after seven years and had no ingress or deterioration the problem a lost neutral midway and like yours jointed somewhere underground to a single flex.

I ALWAYS Strongle recommend against any form of buried path lights , no matter how much you try they always seem to fail and allow water in sooner or later...

I ALWAYS Strongle recommend against any form of buried path lights , no matter how much you try they always seem to fail and allow water in sooner or later...

At least with bollards/pillars you stand a fighting chance of repair, these abominations exemplify the modern way of thinking.

Has anyone seen any of these last more that five years?

Even then the work involved in resolving issues becomes crazy expensive.

I think these are mostly specified by architects and no sane Spark would suggest them.

Here's some I had the misfortune to be asked to "get working", yeah right.

The circuit was supplied direct from a DB at source via a timeclock. From there was anyones guess, leaves in 2.5SWA arrives in 1.5 flexing flexi-con.

View attachment 89366View attachment 89367

There were five of them surrounding this glass atrium with no obvious wiring route or source, they were all individually wired, not looped, so somewhere there was a buried JB where the SWA came in and the flex split off.

View attachment 89368View attachment 89369

After much deliberation I found a solution that fit the clients budget.

View attachment 89370View attachment 89371View attachment 89372

The yellow cement does fade as it dries. I quite enjoyed this very therapeutic.
well done, but would not a few paving brickes be better? i have a few spare., same colour, going cheap.

well done, but would not a few paving brickes be better? i have a few spare., same colour, going cheap.
Thought about it but 1, couldn't get a colour match quickly and 2, was a bit concerned with them settling uneven and introducing a trip hazard over time.

With any sense, the swa was run under the gravel, through a duct under the doors and jointed to the flex just under the surface.
Would CAT not have given a clue to the run?

Of course…. Customer budget?

With any sense, the swa was run under the gravel, through a duct under the doors and jointed to the flex just under the surface.
Would CAT not have given a clue to the run?

Of course…. Customer budget?
You'd think so wouldn't you.

We did a scrape of the gravel at every light position and a few other likely candidates and no sign of the SWA.

And, bizarrely, the flexi-con all seemed to enter from the other direction.

It didn't take much to convince the client to bin the whole lot to be honest.

Reply to External floor lights, WHY? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock