Discuss Extraction for bathroom in to chimney? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Chector

A domestic 3 bed terraced house is being refurbed into a 6 bed House of Multiple Occupancy (HMO). Three en-suites are being added all to the middle of the house by the chimney. 2 downstairs and 1 up stairs. Joist run the wrong way to duct out of the back wall and front wall has a bay window with pitched tiled roof. So I was thinking of shoving the ducting into the chimney. There are no fires in use.

I'm a little concerned doing this will make water condense on the inside of the chimney and cause damp patches to appear. What does every one think?

My only other alternative is to box it in.

Thanks for you replies

I would not even think about doing that. A chimney needs a draught to draw the emissions out.
Even if the fires are not in use , but are there, I bet there will be a building reg against it.
Just think if a tenant opened one of the fires up and lit it, and the ducting drew the co into the rooms.

I would not even think about doing that. A chimney needs a draught to draw the emissions out.
Even if the fires are not in use , but are there, I bet there will be a building reg against it.
Just think if a tenant opened one of the fires up and lit it, and the ducting drew the co into the rooms.

Thanks for the warning. I'll give building control a ring. Fireplaces have been boarded over and skimmed with an air vent inserted, so extremely unlikely a tenant would rip all that out and install a fire, but you have a point with the CO issue.

Thanks for the warning. I'll give building control a ring. Fireplaces have been boarded over and skimmed with an air vent inserted, so extremely unlikely a tenant would rip all that out and install a fire, but you have a point with the CO issue.

Not trying to scare monger , but anything is possible in rented accommodation.
Never doubt the desperation and actions of people.
Better safe than sorry. :)

You'd need fit ducting all the way to the outside via the chimney.

It will condense on the brickwork inside the chimney otherwise.

Box it in, ducting all the way up a chimney is going to be hard, think about haw a chimney works upstairs is separate from down stairs, room on right is separate from room on the left, nothing runs in a straight line, have a look form outside and Count the number of pots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going into a chimney you'll be breaching a fire zone. Where I am it would be bad practice but it can be done if you use seem welded passivated steel ducting of > 3mm thickness and you must reestablish the fire rating of the penetration into the chimney. I'm not sure however if this would be legal in the UK. As suggested check with building control or find a better installation method.

Then your extractor would be venting into the other rooms via the air vents in the blocked in hearths

No,you cannot do this. There are many practical,and some regulatory reasons,why this is not possible.

I would be shaking my head in disbelief,if i ever came across such a set-up....and that's coming from a man who encountered one enterprising builder,who was half way through fitting a fanned-flue on a woodburning stove,venting to a man-hole,in the foolish hope it would make it to heaven via the soil-stack vent...

Reply to Extraction for bathroom in to chimney? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net