Discuss First gold card applicant in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

ethernet

-
Trainee
Reaction score
Hi,
I've got my AM2 booked for November, and looking at the gold card requirements.

the ecs state all new applicants from Jan this year, need the 18th edition.

Will I need to do the 18th as a standalone, or will the AM2 qualify me to the 18th?

Cheers

I have my tech certs, 17th and just finishing my log book.

I know the apprentices who qualified last year, to the 17th, didn't do it as a separate qualification.

And I'm guessing new apprentices from January onward would qualify to the 18th without being required to do the 18th as a standalone

It maybe worth giving them a call, I think for existing card holders they don't need to upgrade to the 18th until renewal?

You maybe one of those in the unlucky window of having to sit the 18th even though you've only just sat the 17th.

However when I went from the 16th to 17th, they just offered a refresher course of 1 day and the exam. Maybe your training center will let you just sit the exam. Worth speaking to.

You only need an inspection and testing qualification for approved electrician status on your gold card.

Yes that is a requirement of approved status, but the question here is regarding the fact that all new gold card applicants from January 2019 must have the 18th edition qualification.

Yes that is a requirement of approved status, but the question here is regarding the fact that all new gold card applicants from January 2019 must have the 18th edition qualification.
Yes true ,my comment was a response to Rob’s comment regarding an I&T requirement which I didn’t respond to by quote.

My brother qualified during the 16th edition.
He took his 2391 just on the cusp of the16th - 17th change.
Because the 2391 certificate was dated after the 17th came into force, the JIB decided he had the 17th edition.

I would suggest attempting to obtain the card without first taking the 18th.
If they refuse, then take the 18th and apply again.

Anyone can do the 18th.

You will need it along with your NVQ Lv3 and if I'm not mistaken some form of I&T qualification too for the gold card.
Nvq3
18th edition and the h and s test will get you the gold card with installation electrician status

If you later get 2391 and add this to your gold card you will have approved electrician status

Apprentices have it taken into account as part of their learning programme so don’t need to do a separate qualification. If you have not done an apprenticeship then I think you would need to do it as a standalone. That runs into next year some point as they started the training before 18th came into force. You could do a one day refresher type course and some places will let you do exam only if you are up to speed with 18th

Hi,
I've got my AM2 booked for November, and looking at the gold card requirements.

the ecs state all new applicants from Jan this year, need the 18th edition.

Will I need to do the 18th as a standalone, or will the AM2 qualify me to the 18th?

Cheers
You do now need your 18th to get a fresh card. If you have recently completed your NVQ3 and AM2 there's no need to do the ECS H&S as it would have been covered in the NVQ3.

I think that extension is only for renewals.

Reply to First gold card applicant in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock