Discuss First NIC assessment in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Mate as long as ya cheque don’t bounce and you ain’t a complete imbecile (this is the nic though) you in.....change ya mum n dads consumer unit.....I know a nic approved who thinks as long as an rcd trips it’s all good!

As above you really need to be completely ham fisted to fail you DI assessment

Just do a job , get it inspected and hey presto your in

Oh , and cough up your hard earned money

So on the electrical certificate, it usually has a box to be signed off by the Q.S. is this box empty?

Ive got my first NIC assessment coming up and a couple of my jobs (that i was going to provide the assessor with) have previously been signed off through the company i used to work for. Will this be an issue even if i did all the works? Would the assessor even check if the job has been signed off on his database or would he just go through my unbranded test certificate on the day and make sure it is satisfactory?
Tia

How much wad this first assesment if you dont mind me asking?

Am I being thick here?.
  1. So you are self employed and want to get NIC status?
  2. But you have not done any work for your new business at all?
  3. You want to use a job you did for another company?
Simple solution,
  • buy a new CU from Screwfix install it in your own house and get that inspected. Cost maybe £150 and you get a upto date CU to protect your family.
  • Do some minor works at a willing friends house and inspect that.

Why would a Scheme be checking the 'system', to see if works have been notified, when the person being assessed isn't officially registered until he/she has passed the assessment, when the assessor will have inspected the works and be satisfied that the work is to an acceptable standard. :confused:

All the assessor should be concerned about is, is this person in front of me competent, do they have a good understanding of the BS7671 and associated standards are they employing a good standard of workmanship and materials.

Now where is the brown envelope:D

I did work for a surgeon who was a really nice guy, and he was surprised that we had to have a full assessment ever 12 months regardless of whether or not we've had complaints, made mistakes etc. He opens people up and isn't assessed so frequently as we are.

I would be interested to know how many experienced sparks fail their annual assessments. I'm referring to those sparks who have had assessments before (not those that previously worked on the checkout at asda and did a 3 week Electricians course).

I did work for a surgeon who was a really nice guy, and he was surprised that we had to have a full assessment ever 12 months regardless of whether or not we've had complaints, made mistakes etc. He opens people up and isn't assessed so frequently as we are.

I would be interested to know how many experienced sparks fail their annual assessments. I'm referring to those sparks who have had assessments before (not those that previously worked on the checkout at asda and did a 3 week Electricians course).
Steady on there Pete!!

It is very true, Electric or BAFE for fire we get inspected every year.
Many other trades and professions do not, some have to do CPD (so attend a course)

Its 3 jobs. Had mine last september. Changed the mains board in my own house, installed some sockets in a friends office and did a EICR at a friends house. Easy 3 Saturdays work.

Its not hard to find the work, if you cant find work to do 3 initial jobs are ypu sire ypur going to be able to find continuous work?

Cost was about 1100 plus VAT.

There is scope within the Governments Scheme, not to be assessed annually. Not sure of the exact details, but after a few years, the Scheme if it feels confident in the contractor, doesn't have to carry out an annual assessment. The requirement is for regular assessments.

Edit, indent 12;
https://assets.publishing.service.g...e/512860/CPS_Conditions_final__April_2016.pdf

Last edited:
Has anyone every questioned why sparks are vetted every 12 months ??

Obviously the scams like yearly assessments as it’s easy peasy money for them. £600 for half a days work and then multiple that by how many suckers you can enroll every 12 months.
Easy money.

But in reality say I’m vetted by a scam today , pay my money to be a approved member.
Do I suddenly become a reckless dangerous incompetent electrician in 12 months time who needs assessing all over again?

Think about it ....

There is scope within the Governments Scheme, not to be assessed annually. Not sure of the exact details, but after a few years, the Scheme if it feels confident in the contractor, doesn't have to carry out an annual assessment. The requirement is for regular assessments.

Edit, indent 12;
https://assets.publishing.service.g...e/512860/CPS_Conditions_final__April_2016.pdf

I haven't personally heard of anyone not having a yearly assessment?

We will still have to pay to be in a scam if we didn't have an annual assessment, but not as much.

It's not just a day off work, but the hassle that goes with it, and also finding a domestic customer who is going to be in on the day of the assessment, isn't too far away, has a suitable job to be assessed and doesn't mnd the disruption.

Has anyone every questioned why sparks are vetted every 12 months ??

Obviously the scams like yearly assessments as it’s easy peasy money for them. £600 for half a days work and then multiple that by how many suckers you can enroll every 12 months.
Easy money.

But in reality say I’m vetted by a scam today , pay my money to be a approved member.
Do I suddenly become a reckless dangerous incompetent electrician in 12 months time who needs assessing all over again?

Think about it ....

My Napit membership is £370.00 + vat
Less than £8.00 a week.
I think Stroma is cheaper than that.

What's the problem?

Paying £400-600 every 12 months to do your job , no matter if you are good bad or ugly ...

Ok , give me £600 every year if it makes you feel better

giving me £600 probably won’t make you a better or worse sparks than you were before ? But you can have a nice badge

Paying £400-600 every 12 months to do your job , no matter if you are good bad or ugly ...

Ok , give me £600 every year if it makes you feel better

giving me £600 probably won’t make you a better or worse sparks than you were before ? But you can have a nice badge
Silly post.

The question for me is why you are going with the NICEIC, if you haven't done that much work yet. Join Stroma save yourself some money. They will only require two new circuits, just find some friends who need 2 x circuits and install them just prior to your assessment, notify the work after. Easy.

Reply to First NIC assessment in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock