Discuss Fitting tracker to vehicle. in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

This demonstrates how shallow your knowledge is of vehicles using this technology, until you manually stop the engine it remains active

So you’re telling me that if I connect the relay in front of the starter motor, someone steals it and the tracker notifies me, I press the button to throw the relay cutting power to the start motor, the engine won’t cut out immediately (because that’s illegal) but the next time they stop the car and the engine stops with it, the starter motor isn’t used to restart the engine? Is that what you’re saying? The starter motor is ONLY used when you first push the button to start the engine?

I don’t know what “remains active” is supposed to mean, or what effect it would have.
What I do know, is you need to tone it down.
The OP has asked for advice.
If you don’t want to give any, then don’t.
There’s no need to be insulting.
Thank you spinlondon. I get fed up with these forums sometimes. Every forum has people like this. Don’t actually want to help anyone, just ridicule them.

I don’t know what “remains active” is supposed to mean, or what effect it would have.
What I do know, is you need to tone it down.
The OP has asked for advice.
If you don’t want to give any, then don’t.
There’s no need to be insulting.

Sounds like you have jumped into a thread without reading through it

I think from some of your replies in other threads you need to take some of your own advice

So you’re telling me that if I connect the relay in front of the starter motor, someone steals it and the tracker notifies me, I press the button to throw the relay cutting power to the start motor, the engine won’t cut out immediately (because that’s illegal) but the next time they stop the car and the engine stops with it, the starter motor isn’t used to restart the engine? Is that what you’re saying? The starter motor is ONLY used when you first push the button to start the engine?

The stop start system once the engine is started is operated from the ECU not the button on the dash until the button is pressed to stop the engine and it is then deactivated

You are making an assumption the the start button has a direct connection to the starter motor this is not a latching button

Thank you spinlondon. I get fed up with these forums sometimes. Every forum has people like this. Don’t actually want to help anyone, just ridicule them.

Clearly the advice I've offered does not meet your expectations or has been misinterpreted, I don't know your level of competence or what tooling and test equipment you have available to you, what I do know is they are complex vehicles that need a different approach to the one your have.
If you are considering continuing with this mod and "brick the vehicle" it will turn a cheap mod into a very expensive *****
Trying to run a modern Land Rover on a shoestring budget isn't an easy thing to do and most of the people I know doing it have access to at least their own diagnostic equipment
On that note I have taken your advice, you have been assigned to room 101 along with another contributor to this thread

Clearly the advice I've offered does not meet your expectations or has been misinterpreted, I don't know your level of competence or what tooling and test equipment you have available to you, what I do know is they are complex vehicles that need a different approach to the one your have.
If you are considering continuing with this mod and "brick the vehicle" it will turn a cheap mod into a very expensive *****
Trying to run a modern Land Rover on a shoestring budget isn't an easy thing to do and most of the people I know doing it have access to at least their own diagnostic equipment
On that note I have taken your advice, you have been assigned to room 101 along with another contributor to this thread
Ironically I think our ‘wires have been crossed’ (don’t trip over that pun)

I was talking about if I was going to put it in front of the starter motor as obviously the starter motor will turn every time. Yes I agree that the button won’t have the same effect.

Other than the belittling yes your contributions have been some what helpful. I know these are complex machines but what I am looking to do is not. I don’t intend to intercept a data line. From my understanding of it is that when you push the button it sends an electrical signal to the computer telling it to start. If I close the relay it was stop that signal from being able to get to the computer. Which is exactly the same as just not pushing the button. I can’t understand how this is so complex and would damage anything. It’s either sending pulse voltage or not.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but fitting it this way, can you explain how this could be damaging to anything and what could go wrong? (Assuming I’ve metered and found the right cable) I can’t see that putting a closed relay is any different to not pushing the button.
With the relay closed if a thief pressed the button that signal would simply just not reach the computer, same as before he pressed the button. No?

Ironically I think our ‘wires have been crossed’ (don’t trip over that pun)

I was talking about if I was going to put it in front of the starter motor as obviously the starter motor will turn every time. Yes I agree that the button won’t have the same effect.

Other than the belittling yes your contributions have been some what helpful. I know these are complex machines but what I am looking to do is not. I don’t intend to intercept a data line. From my understanding of it is that when you push the button it sends an electrical signal to the computer telling it to start. If I close the relay it was stop that signal from being able to get to the computer. Which is exactly the same as just not pushing the button. I can’t understand how this is so complex and would damage anything. It’s either sending pulse voltage or not.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but fitting it this way, can you explain how this could be damaging to anything and what could go wrong? (Assuming I’ve metered and found the right cable) I can’t see that putting a closed relay is any different to not pushing the button.
With the relay closed if a thief pressed the button that signal would simply just not reach the computer, same as before he pressed the button. No?
A problem with that scenario, is you don’t know what the stop?start button does.
It may well be that the button just sends a signal to the ECU, and the ECU then decides what action to take.
If the engine is not running, the ECU starts the engine.
If the engine is running, the ECU stops the engine.
Disabling the start/stop button may mean the ECU never decides to stop the engine.

A problem with that scenario, is you don’t know what the stop?start button does.
It may well be that the button just sends a signal to the ECU, and the ECU then decides what action to take.
If the engine is not running, the ECU starts the engine.
If the engine is running, the ECU stops the engine.
Disabling the start/stop button may mean the ECU never decides to stop the engine.
Amazing!! Exactly what I wanted from a reply post. (not what I wanted to hear but none the less, thank you) Informative and pointed out something I weren't thinking of. Thank you.

Yes you are right. It is a dual purpose button so there will be some coding deciding what to do when it's pushed such as an if/and/or formula and so you're spot on, severing the link will mean it also won't turn off.

So the start/stop button is a no go.

I admire your tenacity. At the end of the day it's up to you what you decide to do, but I think you know in your own mind there is an element of risk to say the least.

Well I’ve just had a look and there is no way of getting beneath the fuse box which is where I thought would be the best and easiest way to identify the right wire to put it. So don’t think starter motor is a go.

it's made by land rover, if it gets nicked, it won't get far before it dies. check AA and RAC websites.

Reply to Fitting tracker to vehicle. in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock