Discuss Fluke 1664FC issues - Null - Low Batt - Err 5 in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Basic issue:
New Energizer alkaline batteries in meter....

.... but I can't understand why I am receiving Low Batt message in continuity mode when simply shorting probes into null adapter & wiggling them, has anyone else seen this?

Thanks for any advice
a) Do batteries get flat extra quickly ?
( Has meter suffered a bad fall - got worst from then on == Cracked capacitor -draining extra power == Or more expensive part )

b)--Do also check battery compartment for any residue -causing an occasional poor contact
--So it receives poor power -- Indictated battery voltage moves about if tap meter gently
--(I suspect) Low ohms continuity ,draws the most current from the batteries - Possibly showing signs of a weak "single-bat" / dirt / or fault.

main problem is it don't say "Megger XXXX" on the box

just as a hijack, a lot has been said about how accurate MFT's are on no-trip Zs. doing a EICR yesterday and just out of interest i tried my Megger 1553, 11 years old, on both. (at the same socket outlet). hi current 0.25. no-trip 0.26. good enough for me. probably the 0.01 is due to the hi current test warming the cables and thus making a slight increase in resistance... o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O:laughing:.

I've reasoned the low battery message maybe a design fault since everything else works fine.

Checked the unit is genuine which it is & still has 2 years warranty.

I figured it maybe something to do with the high current continuity test, my thinking being:
High current continuity test underway - Meter is providing a regulated high current to carry out the test. Probes disconnected quickly (scenario which occasionally shows fault) so circuit suddenly becomes open circuit, meter attempts to regulate it's high current by increasing test voltage which would suddenly draw additional current from the battery to do so. This surge may cause the battery voltage to dip or perhaps the internal psu can't support it causing a low batt warning message?

Do throw some decent ,Duracells in it before condemning it due to a
batch of stale batteries !
(re reading manual --ERROR-5)
Is all about noise ,poor contact.
So maybe you are confusing it!
Make a good connection
-before TEST !

Last edited:
Hi just joined the forum. I have a number of testers and my main one is a Fluke 1664FC. I have just tried to get the same results as you. Mine does not do that at all. My battery pack is tight in on the clip, not loose at all. I would suspect that you are getting v drop from the battery connections when drawing a bit of current from the batteries.

Hi Big JJ

Thanks for your input, that's interesting you're not seeing the same issue.

Batteries are in tight with good contacts but I've done experiments pushing them in tighter & purposefully causing them to be loose to see what the results are & it did not shed any light.

I've since just cracked on & used the meter & not noticed any other issues.

Hi Static Zap,
Just noticed your response a while back - good info, unit it not damaged & hasn't been dropped.

Useful information on Fluke meters, having had several and also several communications with Fluke technical.
1.) turn meter to volts press test button this will tell you voltage of batteries, from Fluke if under 7.2 volts change/charge batteries.
2.)if you have an ERR code, use the up/down buttons this will then give you the reading the meter has obtained.

Update:
Returned my Fluke 1664FC for calibration/repair along with a video of the consistent fault occurring.
I think it's safe to say this is a design quirk/fault.

Fluke response:

Dear Customer,
Thank you for getting in touch and letting us know about your concern with this unit.
We would like to assure you that in this instance there is no fault with the operation of the unit, and there is no concern with continuing to use this unit in its current state.
As the intermittent shorting of the connection is being made on the 250mA range, the significant intermittent fluctuation in current draw may occasionally cause a battery low message on screen.
Error 5 also correctly indicates noise, which is being simulated by the non-standard operation of the test in question.
The specification of the unit is not affected by the findings you have shown.
I hope the above covers any concerns you may have,

Regards,

Fluke Industrial Service.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Should you get a Fluke?
Fluke service response:
Unit arrived with Fluke on 3rd for calibration/repair
4th received invoice for calibration & note saying no fault found
4th I responded with E-Mail including video of fault & requested a re-check & explanation of symptoms.
-----Silence-----
11th I requested an update
-----Silence-----
15th I requested another update
16th Fluke finally responded with an explanation

Not impressed with the service time but hey ho.

So - that clears that up.

Thanks for all your support.

Chris

Swings and roundabouts , design decision.
... I once killed a current limited bench supply , with a fast switching load .
( If you read later instructions it tells you NOT TO .. )
Lesson learnt -- RTFM , If you value your job / Wallet !
-- Nothing is ever as good as "Sales guy makes-OUT " --
... If you lucky your employer may pick up bill on the learning curve..
(Killed a record player at school once -- Not a Disco AMP ) ...
To keep things affordable compromises may be made.

Reply to Fluke 1664FC issues - Null - Low Batt - Err 5 in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock