Discuss Fluke 1664FC issues - Null - Low Batt - Err 5 in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi There,

Just invested in a Fluke 1664FC multifunction tester in the hope of gaining accurate - repeatable results but unfortunately it's not proving very accurate at all...

Basic issue:
New Energizer alkaline batteries in meter
Meter in continuity mode
Neutral & Earth non-fused probes plugged into null adapter
Press & hold 'Test' button

Results vary from 0.09 Ohms to open circuit with light movement on the probes, occasionally Lo Batt is displayed & very occasionally Err 5 is displayed. This happens with any probe combination even if I vigorously twist probes into the null adapter to obtain a better connection & it also happens in other modes that measure continuity.

It appears that the spring clips on the end of the probes have a poor electrical connection to the probes which are causing the varying readings, has anyone managed to overcome this? Any tricks, different null adapters or leads I should try?

I'm assuming ERR 5 pops up due to the poor 'noisy' contacts but I can't understand why I am receiving Low Batt message in continuity mode when simply shorting probes into null adapter & wiggling them, has anyone else seen this?

Thanks for any advice

'New' from eBay

Registration for calibration went through ok so I don't suspect it's not genuine but I could be wrong.

Hi There,

Just invested in a Fluke 1664FC multifunction tester in the hope of gaining accurate - repeatable results but unfortunately it's not proving very accurate at all...

Basic issue:
Meter in continuity mode

Results vary from 0.09 Ohms to open circuit with light movement on the probes, occasionally Lo Batt is displayed & very occasionally Err 5 is displayed. This happens with any probe combination even if I vigorously twist probes into the null adapter to obtain a better connection & it also happens in other modes that measure continuity.

It appears that the spring clips on the end of the probes have a poor electrical connection to the probes which are causing the varying readings, has anyone managed to overcome this? Any tricks, different null adapters or leads I should try?

I'm assuming ERR 5 pops up due to the poor 'noisy' contacts but I can't understand why I am receiving Low Batt message in continuity mode when simply shorting probes into null adapter & wiggling them, has anyone else seen this?

Thanks for any advice
Are the batteries the rechargeable type? if so have you charged them up correctly?

Hi There,

Basic issue:
Meter in continuity mode

Thanks for any advice
Are you using the L and PE inputs? Continuity on my Fluke is between these two, not N and E.

Edit: having said that, it will give the LEAD error message if you've not connected a lead to the L input so you must be using the L input. How are the readings with the lead set with the 13amp plug on the end?

Last edited:
Batteries are new Energizer Alkaline type - battery holder seems pretty loose when located. Is the rechargeable option better?
What does the Manual say to use are, could be if you using ordinary batteries, you MAY be goosing them if you leave your tester plugged in for some time.
Not saying this is what has happened just chucking an idea around.

After investigsting further I'm convinced the low batt message must be a funny 'quirk' of this tester when a poor contact exists during continuity test. It happens with all lead combinations when a poor contact exists but it is mostly noticeable when using the spring loaded part of the probes (eg plugging probes directly into null adapter as instructed) since this part introduces a poor contact.

Would be handy if someone else with a 1664 could confirm.

Thanks for help

After investigsting further I'm convinced the low batt message must be a funny 'quirk' of this tester when a poor contact exists during continuity test. It happens with all lead combinations when a poor contact exists but it is mostly noticeable when using the spring loaded part of the probes (eg plugging probes directly into null adapter as instructed) since this part introduces a poor contact.

Would be handy if someone else with a 1664 could confirm.

Thanks for help
I think it would be worth getting in touch with Fluke or the seller as this doesn't sound like something a top of the range tester should do.

For what it's worth, I have the 1654 and don't have any problems using any of the leads or probes with the null adaptor - readings are always consistent and no error or low battery messages.

Reply to Fluke 1664FC issues - Null - Low Batt - Err 5 in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock