Search the forum,

Discuss Fluorescent Lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

samh909

Hi, I have an assessment for college which I received a month ago, and we gradually work on it every week, with different questions, going in-depth on every question, and I am stuck on this fault question. I was ill for that week, and missed all the relevant information on Fluorescent lighting and finding it hard to understand it. The assessment, is kept at the college, so don't remember the question in full, but I will try to explain it.

It is a fault finding question, and I need a few different idea's on why this fault is occurring. The Fluorescent tube is not working, the light only glows at each end, and fails to ' strike, or jump'. ( Sorry about the terminology, I can't remember the question to the correct degree ).

Thanks a lot for reading. :)

change tube. if still no work, change starter, if still bad, hammer out and new fitting. that's in the real world. no doubt the college world has a 25 page dissertation with a load of algebra in it proving in the end that helicopters can't fly.

well OP, the real world answer is here somewhere, however I suspect you haven't got the 'answer you were looking for'!

There are only three components to choose from in a non high frequency florry
Starter
tube
choke (a.k.a. ballast)

Armed with that knowledge, Google something like [h=1]How does a fluorescent tube lamp work?[/h]Then you can decide where the problem might be.

Reply to Fluorescent Lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I was at a customers house changing a socket and they asked me a question about their lights. Some of the lights in the house suddenly get...
Replies
Views
Apologies for starting a new thread with this question. I tagged it on to the end of my other thread, but I fear it may get missed, hence...
Replies
Views
I am not an electrician but am looking for some advice as to how to fix my sporadic light flickering problem that has come and gone for the year...
Replies
Views
Hello all, First of all I apologise if this is in the wrong forum, I figured the general forum may be the best bet :) Thank you for taking...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've been having some issues trying to fix a fluorescent light in the bathroom. Here's the steps I've taken so far after it suddenly...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock