Discuss Freezer fault has me stumped. Hotpoint FFUL2023 in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

LesLin

DIY
Reaction score
I experienced the common issue of the condenser frosting up so the air can't circulate around the freezer or up into the fridge so it all gets warm. I defosted the condenser as it was solid ice and it all got cold and was fine for a week or so but has frosted up again. The defrost heater was obviously not working. The fan works ok.

I've replaced the heater and the thermal fuse (it had gone open circuit) and the sensor integral to the thermal fuse. It's frosted up again.

The heater is ok as I tested it independently by checking it's resistance (309ohms) and also by wiring it separately to mains and it heats up fine. So, if it's not the heater or thermal switch what could it be? I guess the timer could be an issue but I think it's likely solid state on the main control pcb but that would be prohibitively expensive to replace. And in any case, I haven't managed to find it!

The freezer is only 3 years old!

Any suggestions please?

Last edited:
It is a common problem that Hotpoint can't or won't fix.
I have a hotpoint fridge freezer and the freezer has the same problem, had a Hotpoint engineer out when it was about 11 months old and he defrosted it with a steam cleaner and said that was all that can be done periodically, he and Hotpoint offered no other solution

It is a common problem that Hotpoint can't or won't fix.
I have a hotpoint fridge freezer and the freezer has the same problem, had a Hotpoint engineer out when it was about 11 months old and he defrosted it with a steam cleaner and said that was all that can be done periodically, he and Hotpoint offered no other solution
Thanks. In my case periodically would mean weekly. Clearly not an option.

I'm still hoping someone will have a solution up their sleeve lol.

Excess frosting is usually a symptom of shortage of gas in the system, i.e there's a leak or it was never filled with the correct amount of gas.

Thanks. In my case periodically would mean weekly. Clearly not an option.

I'm still hoping someone will have a solution up their sleeve lol.
I have to do mine every 3 -6 months a lot seems to depend on how much fresh food I freeze

I think it may be worth checking your door seals are clean and are working correctly

Just to clarify a couple of things. The freezing is good in that it goes from room temp down to minus 15 or so in just a couple of hours. I have a temperature probe inside at the moment. The door seals are good and it's not frequently opened to let air in.

I have put a small clear yoghurt pot in the back under the drain (in the larger evaporation tray) and check frequently to see if there is any drainage. There isn't that indicates that the heater never turns on.

Just to clarify a couple of things. The freezing is good in that it goes from room temp down to minus 15 or so in just a couple of hours. I have a temperature probe inside at the moment. The door seals are good and it's not frequently opened to let air in.

I have put a small clear yoghurt pot in the back under the drain (in the larger evaporation tray) and check frequently to see if there is any drainage. There isn't that indicates that the heater never turns on.
I don't know how you got on but my hotpoint also never runs the defrost cycle any more. I intend to check the triac that feeds the heater next. as all 4 thermistors, the overheat cutout and defrost element test good. I don't hold much hope as triacs usually fail permanently on. A replacement circuit board is out of the question as they require programming with a special tool, pathetic really.

I don't know how you got on but my hotpoint also never runs the defrost cycle any more. I intend to check the triac that feeds the heater next. as all 4 thermistors, the overheat cutout and defrost element test good. I don't hold much hope as triacs usually fail permanently on. A replacement circuit board is out of the question as they require programming with a special tool, pathetic really.
I don't think mine has ever run the defrost cycle from new or if it did it failed within 12 months, the Hotpoint service guy came out did a manual defrost of the freezer and left saying it was a common problem not exactly sure what he ment by that as it wouldn't clarify his answer

That doesn't sound hopeful then! I might just have to modify the unit to include a manually started timed run of the heater while shutting off the rest of the stuff, what could possibly go wrong! I don't really want to replace it especially as everything else is working and it's in good condition.

Been poking around with the FF, the defrost heater triac is good as is the transistor that switches the triac. Triggering it switches on the heater. After doing some research, I did not realise the defrost cycle is carried out 2-3 times a day and runs between 20 and 40 minutes a cycle.

take out a maintenance contract for repairs with one of these firms that keep phoning you. . wait 2 months then phone up to get it fixed at no extra cost.

Hi Freddo.
I've not managed to fix it. I have a digital thermometer with probes hanging in the feezer and fridge to check performance. As soon as the fridge starts to warm up I know it's all frosted. I've now got the manual defrost cycle down to about 9 minutes from start to finish. A bit like a formula one tyre change. Drag the trays onto the kitchen floor, electric drill to speed out the screws ( I only bother with two now) and a rapid blow with a hairdryer to defrost. Everything chucked back in and a reset and it's good for another three or four days. As soon as I either find a proper solution or a replacement freezer I like I guess that's it. Next time though I might avoid frost free freezers!

Out of curiosity, where exactly is the circuit board hidden?

Reply to Freezer fault has me stumped. Hotpoint FFUL2023 in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock