Discuss FRONIUS IG Plus inverter very noisy. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Shooby

-
Reaction score
Hi.

Our local Primary School has a couple of these inverters, installed what must be around 15 years ago. Visiting the school recently, I was surprised at how noisy they were - with the sun out, they can be heard clearly in the next corridor, through double doors.

I think, pretty clearly, it's the cooling fans, but how big are they?! This is a loud, rumbling thrummm!

And, since the installation co went bust a good while back, and we are left to look after them, how involved would a repair be?

Many thanks for any info and advice :)

I think first of all,
power down, isolate and remove covers.
see if the fans are rubbing against anything, come loose from their mounts or covered in sticky dust residue.
it maybe that a clean will make a huge difference to the noise levels.

I'm not sure which specific model you have but on one Frontius manual I've just looked at shows it has a filter protecting the fan.
It may be that the filters just need cleaning and the fans are struggling to pull air though them.
Otherwise as James The fans probably need cleaning or after 15 years possibly replacing.

Frontius appear to have a UK office, I'd contact them first to see if they have local agents who would hopefully carry spares or they may have a fixed price repair service.

Yeah, they're very noisy. I'd start as suggested by isolating, removing covers and clean the fans and the rest of the internals whilst you're at it with a thin paintbrush, some very careful vacuuming and some compressed air. If the noise doesn't improve, at 15 years old I'd replace the fans in a heartbeat if they're what's causing it.

Just an update. Fronius were nicely responsive, but reckoned the noise wasn't unusual. They advised filter cleaning, so I've passed that info on to the school - it looks like a perfectly safe caretaker job. :)

Reply to FRONIUS IG Plus inverter very noisy. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net