Discuss Full house re-wiring, is this possible... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Alex Buckley

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi All,

We have just brought a house in the Endon area. It was built in 1970 and has never been re-wired so naturally we want to get it done. However, we are aware that this is a highly disruptive process and it takes time.

My OH is a journalist and is writing an article for a UK magazine on how to move and undertake renovation work with the minimum of disruption. Her plan is to get the re-wiring done before we move in. However, we don't have the completion date yet. Its clear that we would need an electrician who could undertake the job at short notice.

This seems a big ask and I'm unsure if its even viable. Does anyone have any advice on how to best approach this?

Many Thanks

Alex

Invest in a 100% EICR to get the property tested - this would be about a days work if done properly and thoroughly and this includes doing the documentation at home.

It may not need any work with done.

What Murdoch said, however I know some people who are renovating properties like to start with a blank canvas and rewire is one at the top of the list. If your keen to have the place rewired, the easiest option and possibly cheaper, is when its vacant, along with the plumbing & heating if applicable. Get some quotes.

Invest in a 100% EICR to get the property tested - this would be about a days work if done properly and thoroughly and this includes doing the documentation at home.

It may not need any work with done.
and if the wiring is pvc and passes testing, at least it's wired in sensible colours.

I would agree you should get it tested first to identify if there are problems.

If you need the rewire done then I would budget in for a weeks stay in a B&B while the rewire takes place.
For someone to be available to do a full rewire at short notice is unlikely and you would also need to coordinate other service changes at the same time.

Contact some local reputable electricians and see what sort of lead time they will require.

if you mean Endon as in on the stoke - leek A53, then i'll be happy to give you an opinion on whether it needs a rewire or not.

Hi All, Many thanks I have a better idea now. I think the plan is 'if' I can get it done in the narrow time slot before we move in, then go for the full rewire. Just to get it out of the way and forget about it. Or if we are living there when its done get the inspection and pray its not too bad.

Telectrix yes it's that Endon. If we go for the inspection we will no doubt contact you.

In peoples experience what kind of lead times might be expected for a full re-wiring? I know this is a how long is a piece of string question but just a basic idea would really help :)

Hi All, Many thanks I have a better idea now. I think the plan is 'if' I can get it done in the narrow time slot before we move in, then go for the full rewire. Just to get it out of the way and forget about it. Or if we are living there when its done get the inspection and pray its not too bad.

Telectrix yes it's that Endon. If we go for the inspection we will no doubt contact you.

In peoples experience what kind of lead times might be expected for a full re-wiring? I know this is a how long is a piece of string question but just a basic idea would really help :)

Get Telectrix to give you a price for the rewire. He's a top sparks and one of the most respected on the forum :smile:

I would suggest having a very good think about what it is you want to end up with.
Do you just want everything existing replaced?
Do you want extra sockets?
Do want different lighting?
Do you want Audio Visual?
Do you want automation, or to be able to access your appliances via the Internet?
Do you want CCTV, or an alarm system?
Underfloor heating?

"1970's build, never been rewired."

I'm assuming that you will be living there for a long time?..... Do the works now before you decorate and get settled in.

Have the sockets and switches were you want/need them. With the expert help from Tel, you will get a perfect end result.

"1970's build, never been rewired."

I'm assuming that you will be living there for a long time?..... Do the works now before you decorate and get settled in.

Have the sockets and switches were you want/need them. With the expert help from Tel, you will get a perfect end result.
This is it . does it meet your requirements , it may be fine now , but will it be in a few years time .
Technology is advancing and it is difficult to predict what you will need , but it is safe to say that the requirements of the seventies have long been exceeded . An experienced electrician like Tel will be able to advise and guide you you in the latests trend and be able , as is far as possible - future proof your installation .

Again good advice, much appreciated. And yes maybe we will need addition bits for CCTV etc. Difficult to know exactly until we get the keys. But yes a full re-wiring seems the way to go.

Telectrix what is your lead time? You're certainly highly recommended :)

Hi Alex and welcome along, I also will recommend getting Tel up to take a look, you will get a better understanding of what is needed, I have met Tel in person and would highly recommend him to anybody, it is always a good sign when a tradesman gets a lot of backing from others it means you can trust him straight away which goes a long way these days.

if you are getting work done i would recommend you get at least one cat5e point in each room.

cat5e is cheap at ÂŁ30-50 a box and this will future proof your property.

cat5 can be used for internet,phone or tv.

i would recommend an alarm and maybe cctv as well (if you dont want cctv then you could always get the cables in now so their there for later)

depending on the test results you might only need a partial rewire but like you say it might be good to change it now so you dont have to rip the floors up in 20-30 years.

an eicr is definitely worth the money (used to be called a pir)

EICR are useful, for example when buying a property. But in this case, if the OP has decided to buy whatever and set their heart on rewiring, I wouldn't spend money on an EICR, spend it on the rewire IMO. Where's Telly! I think you've all embarrassed him :)

Last edited:

Reply to Full house re-wiring, is this possible... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net