Discuss G83 pre install application in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reply received from OFGEM concerning the email I sent (see earlier post):

Many thanks for your email. My colleagues in Consumer Affairs passed your query on to me a few days ago and I am now emailing you with our response.

As an initial point we would like to direct you to the DG information guide which has recently been published on the ENA website http://2010.energynetworks.org/link-to-engineering-documents/ (see first 4 documents under Engineering documents-free to download).
This document should clarify quite a few of the queries you have raised below. In addition, there is a feedback mechanism in place to comment on this guide and alert the ENA if there are any bits of information missing. We would also be happy to hear if any information has been found to be missing from the guide.

In addition, we wish to point out that the G83 standard is administered and interpreted by the ENA and therefore several of your technical questions regarding the meaning of this standard should be directed to the ENA in the first instance.

Therefore, I would advise you to review the DG information guide. If you could then let me know if any of your queries are still outstanding. In the meantime, we are reviewing the sections of your query that we feel we can respond to.

Kind Regards

Stacy Altman
Senior Policy Analyst

What size of array in kWp can you go up to before you have to do a pre install G83 application.

Central networks say 3.68kWp of panels is the maximum before the pre application on Appendix 2 has to made. They quote 45 days for a response although in practice at the moment it can be done in 2-3 weeks.

The 3.68kWp @ 230V would keep it below 16 Amp per phase. My argument with them is that it's what the inverter is rated at that is important and this is typically always smaller then the Array output if you use manufacturers design software.

What are other installers expereince with different DNO's

I'm still not clear whether it's the rating of the array or inverter that is taken into account. Central networks still insist that any array over 3.68kW requires a pre install g83 appendix 2. Our view is if the output from inverter which is g83 approved is less than 16A then no pre install notification is necessary. This was backed up last week by Electricity North West who queried why we had submitted a g83 appendix 2 for an inverter that operated at 15A (total array size was 3.8kWp)

Can someone point me to the document that clearly states that it is the output of the PV array that need to be considered for g83 and not the inverter

In Scottish & Southern territory size for the purposes of G83/G59 is the lesser of 1 of the 2 following:

1) peak output of the panels times the max efficiency of the inverter

2) continous rated output of inverter

This is one of the questions that I am now awaiting a reply from ENA about.

Clearly each DNO cannot setup their own rules.

Reply to G83 pre install application in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net