Discuss Garden design lighting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

woodsta

Hi I have been asked to price an outdoor lighting project by a land architect and have been sent the plan. All lights are led in wall and slabs. obviously these all come with 1m of flex on them. Can anyone suggest the best way to connect these altogether? im thinking armored and galv conduit boxes filled with weatherproofing putty and have all drivers in one cabinet hidden in the garden. Ihave not done an outdoor project in a while so wondered if there is any other ip rating joints better to use?

How about getting fittings with inbuilt drivers so you only running a supply line around and this would negate the need for a control station or for issues with volts drop on longer runs.

You could do the SWA as suggested but what are the plans here - is it a temp display, permanent etc, where is the cable been run i.e. buried or surface?

Hi its is a permenant instalallation all cables buried in the ground. The lights have been supplied by a lighting design co. It may be that its a case of running a cable from the driver and just connections within the fitting as you said that would be ideal. Im going to look into resin joint options also

I would get some bumf about the fittings if you haven't already, is there an option to bring the terminations up to a jointing post or is it intended to be all buried ... still lacking a lot of info to give valued advise but not arm in doing a gel filled joint, just ensure your glands are designed for the environment as I tend to find a lot of people think a CW gland means water proof until 2 years down the line they find the steel armour all corroded and water ingress into the cable contruct.

I spent most of yesterday digging up and repairing SWA joints with a connection to an adjacent light that came with an integral rubber flex cable. A total of 12 joints for 12 lights, each made in a Wiska box, filled with re-enterable gel, proper glands for the SWA, separate plastic gland for the flex.

Most of them had issues. A few not filled enough with gel, and damp/condensation sitting on the exposed terminals. A few where the flex had pulled out of the gland so the inner cores only in the gland and these with cut marks and damp. Some boxes not really sealed, and a couple infested with ants. If you are going to bury the joints, make sure you do them really well.

I'd try to minimize buried joints, is there any way they can sit above ground e.g. behind a wall, and accessible?

Reply to Garden design lighting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock