Discuss garden design - lighting in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

abdn18

Hi, i have an assigment at uni to make a garden design and i've been allocated to it's electrical part. I'm suppose to make a Lighting design layout and Lighting circuit diagram including calculations for loads and safety system. The space to be considered is 20 Metres X 20 Metres and i'm planning to put 3 lamps. The problem is that my degree is mechanical eng. so my knowledge about electrical eng. is fairly limited.
Thefore i would be grateful for any suggestions
Thx in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
all depends where the lights are going and how far away from each other etc... more details?? but yeh swa(steel wire armoured) would be a good start if its only 3 lights id go for some 1.5mm 3 core from wherever the feed is gonna come from and to an adaptable ip65 (ingress protection) box and maybe flex out of those ????

If you are designing a lighting scheme (seems really odd for a uni assignment? what course are you doing?) Anyway I would suggest you condsider a lighting control system, without control there is not a lot you can do. WIth control you can create awesome enviroments with rather simple wiring, look a Dali and DMX based systems.

If you are designing a lighting scheme (seems really odd for a uni assignment? what course are you doing?) Anyway I would suggest you condsider a lighting control system, without control there is not a lot you can do. WIth control you can create awesome enviroments with rather simple wiring, look a Dali and DMX based systems.

oh ,keep it simple:cool:
show a couple of 1000 watt halagens ,bolted on the wall ,that should light moist gardens up ,if you want control a 2 gang waterproof switch,should do .

hope this helps:)

oh ,keep it simple:cool:
KISS works in practice but as this is an accedemic exercise i think perhaps having bit more design might be beneficial, control systems is normally a failry hot topic at uni/college level, as is energy efficiency, combining the 2 in a novel way should get maximum marks, the beuty is that on the same wiring as a normal garden lighting system you can have a system that does so much more, AUtomatic dawn and dusk settings, interface to PIR's control from PC, Mobile phone, colour touch panel WiFI device etc.

It is worth noting thet some lighting control systems need to wired in a specific manner and if you plan to use LED or fibre optics this needs some thought you can add mood and scene control just like you would for an interior space.

hi, first of all thanks for all the suggestions!
eventually, i made up my mind for sodium vapor lamps [low pressure ones] cos it's efficiency is fairly good 180 lm/W and 16000h of avarage lifespan.
I decided to put 6 lamps, each one 100W, connected parallel.
So I=P/U=100W/230V=~0,44A which multiplied by 6 bulbs gives 2.64A.
I found out that when dealing with currents smaller that 10A we can use 1mm2 wire, so i would probably use 3 corex1,5mm2 armoured copper ( - thx LScotty) cable wires.
I'm not sure about the depth for the cable cos opinionions varies on the web, but i think i will go for about 20inches. I also would like to use Light Level Activated Tube and according to some posts Residual-current device migh come in handy as well.
Right now, the biggest challange for me is to make a proper circuit diagram for described system since i couldn't find anything of help on the web.
If someone has a spare minute i would be grateful for posting here on the forum a basic (made even in ms paint) circuit diagram for it.

@dragon-av this assigment is a part of "design&practise" course :)

Yeah I can do that.

Bane the guy wants a ciurcuit diagram ,and by his reply to your post ,i think he waiting for you to do it for him .:eek:

what is it you want ,is it just a diagram showing 6 lights in parallel, incidently sodiums dont work very well with pir ,halogens come on quicker.

Bane the guy wants a ciurcuit diagram ,and by his reply to your post ,i think he waiting for you to do it for him .:eek:

what is it you want ,is it just a diagram showing 6 lights in parallel, incidently sodiums dont work very well with pir ,halogens come on quicker.

PMSL

:cool: No Problem.:eek:

ok, i've given my own lame version so don't bother

That attitude sucks :eek:
i asked you 2 days ago ,what the circuit diag neaded to show ,and i was waiting for an answer ,
i was going to try and HELP you get it together i wasnt going to DO IT FOR U.

i hope you have learned something from your assignment,and all the best for your future ,with your impatient attitude you will need it ;)

Reply to garden design - lighting in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock