Discuss Garden Shed Wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

daver

Hi Guys and Ladies

Sorry for asking at a late hour, but I am DJing in a club at moment. Luckily we have WiFi, but I dont have any reference books with me. Doorman has just asked for a price to wire his shed. This is my first outside job, so be gentle.

All he wants is 1 socket for lawnmower and a light. Shed is 30M from the house. House is fully RCD'd. TNCS. The only option is to come of ring and fuse spur.

What size SWA.
What size Fuse.
Will it need spiking

Just want to try and cost tonight while we are quiet

Cheers

Dave

hi u'll need a 20A circuit breaker if ya supplyin power to shed cable wise id use 6mm swa i hav used 4mm before now but 6mm is better if ya runnin it under the ground unless you want to run ya cable threw plastic conduit surface mounted, then you could use 2.5mm twin and earth flex straight into a switched fuse spur or 2way 40A c/u with 30mA trip depends how much the guy wants to pay. hope this helps

i'd use a 4mm 2core swa on a 20 amp breaker (voltage drop2.1 %) connect the swa to earth at the house cu, 2way cu in the shed with a 16amp breaker for the socket and a 6 for the lights with an earth rod.

i thought your not supposed to export the earth on a pme system?

just noticed its 30m not 20 so as iceman says its a 6mm

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave,

If the sockets in the house are already RCD protected then if there is a socket on the back wall, easiest thing is to spur off the double to a switch fuse spur along side, through wall to steel conduit end box, 4mm SWA into that down the garden to shed.

SWA into metalclad socket and spur down again for the light.

If the shed has any extraneous conductive parts...i.e. metallic pipework or any mettalic structure in contact with the ground then it will require Main equipotential bonding back to the M.E.T at the house end..........this would require 10mm2 for a tncs supply, therefore the armoured cable would need to be a minimum of 10mm2.........in such a case consideration would have to be given to making the shed a TT installation and isolating the sheath of the armour at the shed end......6mm2 cable would then suffice

spark1

I agree with spark 1; if you have a fault in the house which raises the potential to the mass of earth (the house) then as your shed mass of earth is of a different potential then you could get a shock.:eek: The safest method (but not the cheapest:mad:) is to spike with an RCD at the shed end - no earthing from the house.

If the shed has any extraneous conductive parts...i.e. metallic pipework or any mettalic structure in contact with the ground then it will require Main equipotential bonding back to the M.E.T at the house end..........this would require 10mm2 for a tncs supply, therefore the armoured cable would need to be a minimum of 10mm2.........in such a case consideration would have to be given to making the shed a TT installation and isolating the sheath of the armour at the shed end......6mm2 cable would then suffice

spark1

Very rare that a garden shed would have any metal parts that would need bonding.

I also think that whatever size cable was used, if there were extraneous parts in the shed this would need running back as a separate 10mm, in addition to the supply cable.

Therefore, it would make sense to make the shed a TT.

All IMHO.

Jason the cpc and the Main equipotential protective bonding conductor in the distribution circuit to the shed are allowed to be one and the same provided the size satisfies both criteria.....no need for seperate bonding cable ...hence the minimum size usually being 10mm2.

spark1

Jason the cpc and the Main equipotential protective bonding conductor in the distribution circuit to the shed are allowed to be one and the same provided the size satisfies both criteria.....no need for seperate bonding cable ...hence the minimum size usually being 10mm2.

spark1

Yes you are right.

However, i was assuming a less than 10mm supply:)

Reply to Garden Shed Wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock