Discuss Gas shut of valve in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi there i have been doing a job for the past month re-wire of a pub with my journeyman this pub also serves food to the public now the kitchen guys came in who had there own spark to connect in some of the 3 phase stuff we installed a zone on the fire alarm panel for a gas shut of solenoid but the kitchen spark was saying it wasent needed and if it was installed it would be installed where the gas entered the building and not in the kitchen iam still an apprentice dont get me wrong but i like to come on here for other sparks point of views and obv the learning side of things thanks in advamce and for taking the time to read this

Like everything these days emergency gas valves have their own standards and rules.

I would imagine the requirement is something that comes out of a risk assessment, possibly the fire risk assessment.

Slightly off topic but commercial kitchen fitters are usually even worse with electrical work than domestic ones, I recently saw a TPN oven supply wired in 3 core SWA with a blue single core cable tied to the outside of it. Keep your eyes peeled, you may see some scary things!

quick google search brought up this usefull document.

Gas valve should be outside the catering area or near an exit so it can be activated easily in emergency
thanks mate will have a look

quick google search brought up this usefull document.

Gas valve should be outside the catering area or near an exit so it can be activated easily in emergency
thank you mate will have a look
[automerge]1596480468[/automerge]
Like everything these days emergency gas valves have their own standards and rules.

I would imagine the requirement is something that comes out of a risk assessment, possibly the fire risk assessment.

Slightly off topic but commercial kitchen fitters are usually even worse with electrical work than domestic ones, I recently saw a TPN oven supply wired in 3 core SWA with a blue single core cable tied to the outside of it. Keep your eyes peeled, you may see some scary things!
yeah will keep my eyes pealed just wasent sure he juest said dosent need a gas shut off and no risk assessment has bn done atawl
[automerge]1596482828[/automerge]
read something saying that basically you need an intake and extract and both need to be on before the solanoid will open

Last edited:
Yes, there's more to it than just shutting the gas off normally.
The system monitors the extraction system and any other airflow systems to shut down the gas if any potentially dangerous situation occurs.

A change in airflow could result in carbon monoxide in the room so can be very dangerous.

From the point of view of the fire alarm connection you mentioned earlier they shut the gas off, for obvious reasons, and I think they shut the ventilation off to prevent it feeding a fire with oxygen.

Yes, there's more to it than just shutting the gas off normally.
The system monitors the extraction system and any other airflow systems to shut down the gas if any potentially dangerous situation occurs.

A change in airflow could result in carbon monoxide in the room so can be very dangerous.

From the point of view of the fire alarm connection you mentioned earlier they shut the gas off, for obvious reasons, and I think they shut the ventilation off to prevent it feeding a fire with oxygen.

Agree with all of above.
I would not be taking on the job without a design spec.
I don't know enough about the regulations for gas, ventilation/extraction to ensure that it is compliant with ALL regs.

Again, a fire risk assement should be undertaken to find out if all or any of these things are required.

however in my experience, i have never found a "good" Comercial kitchen that has not got a gas valve with a big red stop button and a link to the cooker hood extraction to confirm that it is on.

Reply to Gas shut of valve in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net