Discuss Gauze type hernia repair op. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sparkdog

-
Arms
Reaction score
Has anyone had one of these? I just wondered things like if it was effective,or painful,how long off work,able to work normally after it?I have had a groin hernia since 1998 and it didn't bother me much until I started doing electrical work again a few years ago.I manage OK with a flat pad support belt but its a bit heavy in the hot weather.The only op I fancy is the gauze type.I don't like the idea of having a patch nailed on the inside with microscopic nails.Customers I speak to all seem to have had problems with hernia ops which really puts me off.Thanks.

As with any Op it's only as good as the surgeon and the way the patient heals. Have seen some good results from other gauze type Ops and pretty quick recoveries as the muscle and tissue is not disturbed as much as other procedures and the tissue has something to bond to as it heals.

As long as he doesn't use ring nails from the local Del boy on the market you should be fine.

Before going to the surgeon get a list of questions ready to ask, good ones will answer fully and understand any worries you may have. Get it sorted out as things like that can really bugger you up later in life.

I had an inguinal hernia repaired last year. The options offered to me were either keyhole or open surgery. As I understand it recovery from keyhole surgery is quicker and less painful but there is a higher risk of complications. I opted for open surgery and I now have a 3 inch long scar from the operation. Don't know the details, but they basically cut you open, fix some gauze over the hole then stitch you up again.

The operation itself was fine, I came home the same day. The first week or two is quite painful but ok as long as you don't try to do too much and keep moving around. I think that recovery for me took quite a bit longer than advertised, but I guess that everyone is different. I didn't drive for about a month, I found that even just sitting in a car hurt - I felt every little bump in the road.

Probably pretty much back to normal after a few months but cautious about lifting anything really heavy, still get the odd twinge now. I think the recovery can be quite long but it is well worth it in the long run.

i had a groin hernia, only a relitively smal one, but still. i had the gauze repair, that was about 6/7 years ago now. was in and out the same day, it was verry painfull, i was practically bed ridden for a week, but then soon settled. went back to work after 2 weeks, light duties (against the advise of the quack). had a few twinges in the first few months but thats it.

I had one key holed about eight years back at 30, in my groin, with a gauze repair. The first few days your danglers are going to be black and blue! You need something very loose fitting as the slightest touch hurts, stairs hurt, most things hurt! I was back to light duties in a week. After a couple of weeks it will be a memory.

I got mine weight lifting! To much weight at 250k! After it healer I went back to weight lifting no problems, and never a problem since, don't even give it a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
the first week is hell, the worst is getting up in the morning. first you forget and try to sit up straight, aaarrrrrrrrrrrrgggghhhh.
then you spend the next 10 mins trying to manipulate yourself into an upright position without too much pain.
then you need to stand:nonod: :sweatdrop: :furious3:

the first week is hell, the worst is getting up in the morning. first you forget and try to sit up straight, aaarrrrrrrrrrrrgggghhhh.
then you spend the next 10 mins trying to manipulate yourself into an upright position without too much pain.
then you need to stand:nonod: :sweatdrop: :furious3:

I remember that there was only a couple of positions I could lie in, with pillows in various places for support. The worst thing though was laughing, I had to turn Have I Got News For You off because it was hurting me too much. Sneezing is not good either, I was glad that I didn't have a cold at the time. It's bearable though and you get used to it quickly.

my mums got a gauze and the thing is huge. she cant bend down properly any more and she has discomfort in sitting sometimes. i have told her to go back to get it sorted but she is having none of it as she does not want another op. on the same hand my dad had one about the same time and his is fine with no issues at all

Reply to Gauze type hernia repair op. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock