Discuss Getting up to date 17th edition etc in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

actionjack

Okay Guys,
After years of working for other people, I have decided to bite the bullet and set up on my own, last job was Contracts manager (electrical) very boring.

I used to tell my lads they don't realise how lucky they are being on the tools, working in different locations meeting different people every day and checking out the local talent:D, rather than being stuck in the office having meetings to decide when to have meetings!!

So I have done a few jobs, made the website, got the van and slowly but surely the work is starting to trickle in.

So I am in the process of updating everything as things have changed a lot since I was last on the tools.

The 2 main things I need to do are join the Niceic and do the 17th Edition.
I did my 236 etc in 94 so thought I would have to do the rip off 5 day update coarse, however looking at my certs I have noticed I did my 2391 in 2001, it says date awarded July 2001.
Does this mean I can do the 1 day update coarse? or preferably just the 17th exam, I have asked several people but seem to get different answers.

My main concern is, I do the exam and then C & G don't recognise it as I should of done the 5 day job.

Any advice appreciated.:confused:

if i where you mate i would ring your local college or private training centre tell them your situation and they will know for sure which one you need to do :)

hope this helps

Okay Guys,
After years of working for other people, I have decided to bite the bullet and set up on my own, last job was Contracts manager (electrical) very boring.

I used to tell my lads they don't realise how lucky they are being on the tools, working in different locations meeting different people every day and checking out the local talent:D, rather than being stuck in the office having meetings to decide when to have meetings!!

So I have done a few jobs, made the website, got the van and slowly but surely the work is starting to trickle in.

So I am in the process of updating everything as things have changed a lot since I was last on the tools.

The 2 main things I need to do are join the Niceic and do the 17th Edition.
I did my 236 etc in 94 so thought I would have to do the rip off 5 day update coarse, however looking at my certs I have noticed I did my 2391 in 2001, it says date awarded July 2001.
Does this mean I can do the 1 day update coarse? or preferably just the 17th exam, I have asked several people but seem to get different answers.

My main concern is, I do the exam and then C & G don't recognise it as I should of done the 5 day job.

Any advice appreciated.:confused:
I think it goes from the date you did your 16th edd NOT your 2391

Hey.

mrloy is spot on, it's all to do with your 16th edition, if awarded before 2001 then full 17th edition course is needed. If after 2001 then only 16th to 17th update is needed.

Cheers.

hmmm I havent got a 16th edition cert, I thought the 2391 was to the 16th edition when I did it so I wouldnt need a 16th edition update?

I would just do the full course anyway.

My local collage has both the update 17th and the full 17th course.. since they have been running it they have not had 1 sparky enroll on the update course, every one has enrolled on the full course even if they have there 16th regs.

The reason being is that the price difference is next to nothing, and when done just the update i have been told it states on your cert its not the full 17th qual and just says update..

I think most people wanted there cert to declare they have the full 17th regs. and not just an update course. as there was hardly anything in the price difference.

my local collage has stoped offering the update course now as there was no call for it.

I suppose if you just do the update or you do the full course you still end up with your 17th either way.

See what the price diff is.

As been said, a lot of training providers wont let you do the update as you qualified before the cutoff date.

The 2391 is separate from the 236/0 and is not a requirement to either join a scheme or to do the 17th.

I think you would probably be better off doing the full update as the one day course really only flits over the updates and they barely even get discussed.

Time to dust off that pencil case!:D

Reply to Getting up to date 17th edition etc in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net