Discuss Getting your money from bad Bill in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

puffy

Today I have revisited of my old post. Read it and I was like....f-ing hell! What was I thinking?! While tons of homeowners liked the idea, it would not be worth it. Taking x% from a tradesman's earning is just robbery. So what I am up to these days? Something that requires tons of legal work :ihih:.

Let's say you've done a job for Bill. Bill says "I need four light fittings to be installed". Bill is on a tight budget and you both settled with a price for the job. You then installed the light fittings etc and it's time to be paid, as you've done your first fix. Bill is not happy because he wanted chrome fitting instead of what you've used. But you know if you used chrome, you would make a loss (let's just say that). You haven't mentioned chrome to Bill because he wanted the work cheap (again let's say you did the work).

Bill won't pay until you replaced those fittings with chrome. Bill will not pay a penny more. How would you get Bill to pay you for the job? Let's assume the job was £250.

Today I have revisited of my old post. Read it and I was like....f-ing hell! What was I thinking?! While tons of homeowners liked the idea, it would not be worth it. Taking x% from a tradesman's earning is just robbery. So what I am up to these days? Something that requires tons of legal work :ihih:.

Let's say you've done a job for Bill. Bill says "I need four light fittings to be installed". Bill is on a tight budget and you both settled with a price for the job. You then installed the light fittings etc and it's time to be paid, as you've done your first fix. Bill is not happy because he wanted chrome fitting instead of what you've used. But you know if you used chrome, you would make a loss (let's just say that). You haven't mentioned chrome to Bill because he wanted the work cheap (again let's say you did the work).

Bill won't pay until you replaced those fittings with chrome. Bill will not pay a penny more. How would you get Bill to pay you for the job? Let's assume the job was £250.

Get the cost of the materials upfront before you start, or you, get him to supply the light fittings OK you may loose out on the material side, but if you haven't spent anything on light fittings, you wont have lost as much, and if he wont cough up on completion go back carefully remove His light fittings, remove as much of the wiring as you can leaving it safe and wish him goodbye don't bother calling me again. Tell all your fellow Electricians that Mr so and so is a bad payer.

Failing that take out a CCJ

Last edited:
If the job is done and bill wants chrome I'd say no problem I want to get paid. Then go I and remove my materials which havnt been paid for. Sorry bill you should have specified chrome, ta ra

Problem is once they are on bills proerty there his and if he doesnt give u access to property then you are tresspassing. Horrible situation for any tradesmen.

I agree on the 'first get upfront money' etc but I want to get the scenario of how you'd get your money from Bill. Are there any legalities that protect a tradesman "on being paid"?

I have had a case where an agency wouldn't pay went through the CCJ route eventually they paid up, thats the only legal way I know of, but then again I didn't do much of that sort of work when I was working, you have the bailiff route, other than sending some of the boys around I'm not sure, sorry, sure some of the wiser fraternity will have some better options.

I agree on the 'first get upfront money' etc but I want to get the scenario of how you'd get your money from Bill. Are there any legalities that protect a tradesman "on being paid"?

Really? I've NEVER done this.......

To get your money YOU have to swap the light fittings...... and learn from YOUR mistake

Problem is once they are on bills proerty there his and if he doesnt give u access to property then you are tresspassing. Horrible situation for any tradesmen.

Nope, materials remain my property until paid for by the customer as specified in my terms and conditions which customers receive a copy of with their quote.

I do not think anyone would presume to pick lights for any customer, except the usual, 'do you want chrome. stainless ,or brushed......'
If you haven't asked that question; you will have to take it on the chin.

If I am asked to fit lights , I always ask which type; for reasons known to most of us.

Knock on the door and ask for the money, if he refuses then pass it on to a debt collection service and let them deal with it.

Can't understand where we get into a scenario of the customer guessing what the tradesperson is going to supply and the tradesperson second guessing what the customer wants.

^ Show me one successful trespass conviction...without the addition of B&E,criminal damage or Armed...not happening...

I would try thumb-screws,pressure points and water boarding...applied to myself,for NOT being accurate and specific,during the quotation stage :frown2:

You have used the word tradesman. This, to me, implies that the person involved (you) not only has a good knowledge of his trade, but also demonstrates a competent and professional approach to the other aspects of being an electrical contractor. I am afraid to say that nothing in your posts suggest any professionalism whatsoever. Like has been said, take it on the chin and don't blame the customer for your obvious inadequate approach and lack of customer-facing experience.

Last edited:
You then installed the light fittings etc and it's time to be paid, as you've done your first fix. Bill is not happy because he wanted chrome fitting instead of what you've used.

Ummm, am I missing something, ... after first fix there won't be any light fittings installed, just the cables hanging out the ceiling?

Reply to Getting your money from bad Bill in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net