Discuss GFCI testing at ungrounded receptacles in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have installed a GFCI breaker the main panel which feeds a circuit that serves two bedrooms. This was done so I could replace all the old non grounded two prong receptacles with standard three prong receptacles. There is no ground in the circuit wiring. My dilemma is, how do I test the GFCI, at the receptacles, if I have no ground to test it to?

In a grounded circuit I can put my wiggy between hot and ground and that will trip a GFCI. But, in this situation there is no ground to test too? Do have to run a test wire to a earth ground in a nearby bathroom?
Thanks
Tom

This might seem like a really dumb question, but why are you not running in some ground wires to the new sockets?

How are they currently wired, is it in conduit/EMT or similar?

Even if you can't get the ground all the way from the panel, could you take it from any nearby circuit (assuming they are of at least the same current rating as the socket so the ground wire is sized to clear the GFCI's let-through energy)?

I don't know the USA electrical code so it would need one of our USA members to comment, but in the UK not having ground at any 3-pin socket is a major breach of our wiring regulations.

in the UK not having ground at any 3-pin socket is a major breach of our wiring regulations

Under the NEC it's grandfathered-in for many existing circuits. The receptacles must be GFCI-protected and marked 'No Equipment Ground.' It seems odd to us but a 120V outlet protected by a 5mA GFCI is quite hard to get a serious shock from (if the GFCI works!)

Under the NEC it's grandfathered-in for many existing circuits. The receptacles must be GFCI-protected and marked 'No Equipment Ground.' It seems odd to us but a 120V outlet protected by a 5mA GFCI is quite hard to get a serious shock from (if the GFCI works!)
Again I have to agree with @Lucien he is exactly right. I don’t agree with everything in the NEC book but that’s what mandates what we are allowed to do.

Reply to GFCI testing at ungrounded receptacles in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net