Discuss Girl / lady electricians....? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I just wondered if we had any on the forum I didn't want them personally contacting me lol @Louise wouldnt be best pleased ha

Its great to have a female electrician there does not seem to be many. It is very usefull if someone is not sure about having any males about for various reasons.

I think it's great. There's loads of ladies living on their own that don't feel comfortable with a guy coming in the house so lady electricians are needed!

I think there needs to be more lady trades women. Mechanics, electricians, plumbers, tilers etc. I think a lot of women would prefer to have a female tradesman

It would be nice to have more women sparks i agree. Ive only ever seen one who could pull her own wait and just get on with it(see was a great teacher also). The other needs an apprentice at all times to lift heavy stuff for her, or because she feels intimidated at a job site. Its double standards and the whole feminist argument, if i asked for a lad to help me lift a cu and mark it or test id be laughed at. I may sound neanderthal but i think its just not suited to most women and they cant hack the environment.

I think there needs to be more lady trades women. Mechanics, electricians, plumbers, tilers etc. I think a lot of women would prefer to have a female tradesman
But then who would do all the cooking , washing & ironing Louise!!!

I haven't come a cross any (female sparkys) as yet but would have no issues employing one. There defiantly needs to be more female trades people but not sure what you can do about fighting off the belief and in some cases the reality of sexism in the industry which is stopping women from training. I have had 2 women come out for some experiance prior, one was pretty good but then made a mistake ( screw through water pipe) and her confidence never came back so she left. The other was mid 40's and had issues with the physical side, chasing etc. I have also had lads that have benn far worse.

One of my old tutors at college was female. But that is the only time I've come into contact with a female spark. I've seen a few female wet pants tough.

I have only ever met 4 female electricians that I can remember. Hardly any round these parts. I know of one that is employed and frequents the same wholesalers as me.
I know of one other that is self employed round here. She seems to have a habit of recommending a mate of mine for jobs that she "doesn't have time for". She tells customers my mate is a good trusted guy that she knows well and has no hesitation in passing the job on to. He has never met her.
All the jobs he has been to the customer has said she spent a couple of hours scratching her head and eroding the customer's confidence then passed the job on. They have all been fault finding jobs that my mate got sorted, or at least diagnosed within 30 minutes.

When my daughter was about 15, she showed a lot of interest in the panels I was building in my workshop. She asked the right questions about the programming and was really interested in the HMI's. (operator screens if you like)
She actually taught me how to lay the screens out in a logical and aesthetically pleasing way (something us blokes are usually not to good at) And gradually I taught her how to program PLC's but her natural bent was for the screens.
Soon, I was giving her the I/O lists and specs and she programmed them for jobs I was doing.
She left school and tried various jobs and one day asked if she could work for me.
I had to think long and hard about introducing her to the workplaces I went to but agreed on a trial.
(silly naive daddy didn't want his precious little girl hearing all the bad language and sexist remarks)

I had no need to worry - she was already used to dealing with overtures from leching idiots.
I am her father but I say this from an entirely neutral point; she is a very attractive girl and while working, the saying 'fly's around ----' about covers what was happening every day.

This had unexpected bonus's though. A lot of engineering managers and bosses wanted me to do jobs that I would normally have to quote for and compete with others for were now allowing me to do the jobs on day-work rates. Even if it was a 'one-man' job they would ask if she was coming, saying things like 'it will be a good learning experience for her'
She had no problem with any - shall we say mans-work, there was always an army of volunteers ready to assist.

Sadly, she left to get married and have children (sadly at losing her skills - but good for the grand bairns)
She has now retrained and delivers babies daily as a midwife.

Reply to Girl / lady electricians....? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net