Discuss Good cable to use outside in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hello guys

I have a lighting install at high level outside a house.
I don’t need additional mechanical protection and would like to use a good UV resistant insulated and sheathed cable.
Don’t want to use conduit as it looks ugly.

I normally used white FP 200 which the manufacturers said supports UV light exposure however I have seen a few installs where after 6 years turns to dust.

(I might be getting a phone in from client is a few years time as a result)

Nearly all black cable has good uv resistance.
The black is normally created with carbon dust in pellet form as the material is being processed.

Obviously check with the cable spec but black anything is nearly always considerably better uv resistance than the same white cable.

I tend to use standard black flex for domestic lighting circuits outside if the installation method allows it.

hello guys

I don’t need additional mechanical protection and would like to use a good UV resistant insulated and sheathed cable.

I normally used white FP 200 which the manufacturers said supports UV light exposure however I have seen a few installs where after 6 years turns to dust.

Don't forget you'll need to secure it with fire resistant fixings at intervals

I tend to use H07RN-F. It's tougher & thicker than the normal black rubber cable H05. It's rarely on the shelf, normally have to mail order it.

hello guys

I use black rubber flex. I would usually use H07RN but on occasion would use H05RR. I personally think that even black PVC flex (H05VV) would be ok outside as I put some in my own property many years ago and it is fine. However I use rubber for customers as that is the correct choice. Also, this is only if it does not need mechanical protection, otherwise SWA.

Manufacturers instructions often say to use 1mm H05RN but finding that is like gold dust, so you have to bump it up to the H07RN. You do find that because it is rated up to 700V it is quite thick which can be a bit of a pain sometimes.

This is just one of many useful threads on outdoor cable..
Outdoor Flex Cable RR-F or RN-F - https://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/threads/outdoor-flex-cable-rr-f-or-rn-f.169160/page-2#post-1463746

Last edited:

Reply to Good cable to use outside in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock