Discuss Had an interesting call last night in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

What was this fire inspector's name Nicholas? The reason I ask is that my son's rugby coach (who is senior member of Tyne & Wear Fire Service)just came round and was horrified to read that a "civilian" was allowed into a fire scene and want to report him to the powers that be so that an enquiry can be made into the circumstances as he could have put you in an extremely hazardous situation

I was there for 4 hours in total - I got £100 for the callout - my rates are low but standard in this area.

I am doing the new install as well when the fire lot finish and the LABC finish as well.

The DNO are came out last night because the meter was in that cupboard and the whole place is full of foam now

Foam fire extinguishers are an absolute no no on electrical fires
Co2 is the only type suitable for electrical fires
Maybe the fire fighters arn't told this......

Foam fire extinguishers are an absolute no no on electrical fires
Co2 is the only type suitable for electrical fires
Maybe the fire fighters arn't told this......
Maybe they isolated the supply first as they do on any other electrical fire?

customer: help my house is on fire
999: have you tried phoning a spark
customer: yeah,told me to ring you..

:confused5::confused5:

I never realised there was a Walter Mitty badge in the electrical world.

Do we have the equivalent of the ARRSE WaltonKommando?

Google it...

Actually this is the best contribution so far as most insurers look for a way NOT to pay out so it could cost him much more than he thought he save in the first place. The report provided by the Fire Service WILL moire than likely, be the final nail in the coffin for his insurance claim.

So.....that would be what I put in the first reply (#2) to the OP, then? 2 for 1 at Specsavers mate! :glasses2:

The fire in question was a small fire (only the CU) so the fire officer was happy for us to go in, I didn't know why he called me - but he did, I didn't know where the main fuse was, but first thing like always isolate power.
I live 2 mins from the house in question, the Fire Station is 2 mins in the other direction and an unmanned station.

The property was not effected by the fire at all. The BC only wants an EICR so they can sign it off, they where happy with the EIC from my CU change.

If you want to think I made it up then carry on - thought it would be a nice thread on here those non-electricians out there who think they can manage an install because they can wire a plug up.

The Fire Officer (NOT THE INSPECTOR) said it was so small the home owner could of managed to put it out himself but its always better to get the pros in - I would never tell anyone to put a fire out themselves - get the pros in everytime!

No inspector came as it was such a small fire

Nic telling someone to pull a main fuse except in exceptional circumstances is totally wrong. It wouldn't put the fire out and would only pose a greater risk too life in both going towards the fire and also exposing live parts.

Nic telling someone to pull a main fuse except in exceptional circumstances is totally wrong. It wouldn't put the fire out and would only pose a greater risk too life in both going towards the fire and also exposing live parts.

Hmmm.....not sure I entirely agree with that. If I had a customer on the phone reporting an electrical fire, under the circumstances of not being able to see with my own eyes, I reckon I would give them very similar advice. It's ultimately what the fuse is there for - remove the source of energy.

The fire in question was a small fire (only the CU) so the fire officer was happy for us to go in, I didn't know why he called me - but he did, I didn't know where the main fuse was, It didn't occur to you that it might possibly be in the 'meter cupboard' that was on fire then? but first thing like always isolate power.
I live 2 mins from the house in question, the Fire Station is 2 mins in the other direction and an unmanned station.

The property was not effected by the fire at all. The BC only wants an EICR so they can sign it off Sign what off?, they where happy with the EIC from my CU change.

If you want to think I made it up then carry on Thankyou. I will. - thought it would be a nice thread on here those non-electricians out there who think they can manage an install because they can wire a plug up. Thats pretty much what I suspected "I'll make up a horror story and then link it everytime a DIY'er comes on"

The Fire Officer (NOT THE INSPECTOR) hmmm... maybe you should reread your first post, your hole is getting deeper
said it was so small the home owner could of managed to put it out himself The fire officer said a homeowner can put out a burning consumer unit himself....how? by throwing water on it?
but its always better to get the pros in - I would never tell anyone to put a fire out themselves - get the pros in everytime!

No inspector came as it was such a small fire

Im Still not sold Im afraid.

Yes, but if as Nic said there was a short between the L&N then it didn't do that in the first instance, it should be sealed too so you shouldn't be able to remove it anyway.

Yes, but if as Nic said there was a short between the L&N then it didn't do that in the first instance, it should be sealed too so you shouldn't be able to remove it anyway.
This is my main reason for thinking its all a load of balls.
L&N short=Bang=blown fuse

Loose connection=hot connection=Fire

the brigade would offer the advice of get out and call 999,going into a burning room to pull a fuse is lunacy,who's to say what state the fuse carrier is in,is it intact,is the fuse showing ,are the tails melted and still live,op says l-n was welded together and fuse didnt blow,very dangerous conditions for the dno never mind a spark,and your advising a householder to start pulling fuses etc,while its on fire...one of those where theres a blame companies would love that...fire-leave the house call 999..simple really

Reply to Had an interesting call last night in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock