Discuss Had an interesting call last night in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The fire in question was a small fire (only the CU) so the fire officer was happy for us to go in,
No inspector came as it was such a small fire
My son's rugby coach still isn't happy Nicholas. He says there have been massive procedural errors with this thing which could have resulted in "civilian" deaths and he wants someone's blood. Any chance of either a name or the date and town where this occurred mate?
Through our local area commander he has already passed this on to your local area commander Steve Bryant who, by all accounts, is spitting feathers over this

Last edited by a moderator:
Lads - tbh I think you're 'over thinking this'. For starters, clearly there's not going to be any seals on the fuse - the bloke just did a DIY board change! Loose incoming tails = heat = double insulation sticks together (not the copper) = smoke and charring and little flames easily dealt with once power is off (not Steve McQueen blowing up water tanks).

Now then, let me think.... why would Building Control want to know if a building is electrically safe just after it's had an electrical fire?...can't see any need for an EICR....... ffs - use your brains, boys.

I've seen plenty of smouldering fire-starters in my time - they DO happen.

Lads - tbh I think you're 'over thinking this'. For starters, clearly there's not going to be any seals on the fuse - the bloke just did a DIY board change! Loose incoming tails = heat = double insulation sticks together (not the copper) = smoke and charring and little flames easily dealt with once power is off (not Steve McQueen blowing up water tanks).

Now then, let me think.... why would Building Control want to know if a building is electrically safe just after it's had an electrical fire?...can't see any need for an EICR....... ffs - use your brains, boys.

Not disputing the fire, just the seals on the fuse, they should be there unless they were removed for emergency islation purposes. How wasNic tgo know they had been cut has he never did the DB change.

whens a fire not a fire,when you cant see it,if it were yours or my house we could make that decision,when someone is tring to describe a fire over the phone its a bit different,what next 999 op asking about the colour of the smoke,the height of the flames before they send brigade,what ever the size of the fire get out and call 999,apparently those lads in the big red vans do a canny job..

Not disputing the fire, just the seals on the fuse, they should be there unless they were removed for emergency islation purposes. How wasNic tgo know they had been cut has he never did the DB change.

Given that even if they WERE fitted, they snap pretty easily (or the tiny bit of the carrier does [oops]), so I think as a general statement I really wouldn't even be thinking about seals if I was in the position of issuing emergency advice down the phone.

Well if a customer rings me up when there house is on fire they get everything they deserve I suppose, although I did once when on call for a ex boss of mine get a phone call from a night club at 3 am saying the fire alarm was going off. I kindly used a few select words told them to dial 999 and get the hell out of there.

whens a fire not a fire,when you cant see it,if it were yours or my house we could make that decision,when someone is tring to describe a fire over the phone its a bit different,what next 999 op asking about the colour of the smoke,the height of the flames before they send brigade,what ever the size of the fire get out and call 999,apparently those lads in the big red vans do a canny job..

That's a very modern H&S take on it:
1. Raise the alarm 2. Fight the fire if practicable and safe to do so. 3. Evacuate. 1&3 are interlinked.

Somewhere this country lost it's sense of common.

Thank you Rockingit

Exactly these do happen - The fact is he did an install and not notify it - all LABC wanted was to see the state of the rest as they dont know what else hes messed with, noone can sign his work off can they??? - NO!
LABC down here just want to make sure that anything else he has done has been checked and can be signed off which is what an EICR or the test results of a EIC will do.

I didn't see the flames - I was on the other end of the phone, the fire in question was a small (very small).

When I say short, there as a connection there between L&N not a big one - could of been reduced insulation which had melted - not a clue! I saw it after the fire was put out - I cant wind back time

Most houses (around here) the main fuse is in the board outside in the electric cupboard - nowhere near the inside.

I think a few of you lot need to get off your high horses and get some brains!

Anyway this house - did the CU change replaced a few damaged cables, the CU was not badly damaged but needed replacing either way.

LABC have signed it all off and are happy - cant see them doing much - the meter was fine - Swalec and WPD just wanted to check as the meter was in the same area - incase it had been damaged by heat - not my problem!

Im not giving any details out about the fire officer - I will visit him in the morning and speak to a family member (head of HR in Fire Brigade) about this in the morning as someone has mentioned about misconduct - I doubt it mind!

If anyone is intereded the only cables which where damaged where the tails (replaced!) and 2 1.5T&E cables near the main switch (also replaced) nothing more!

Again shows how big of a fire we are actually talking about.

Im not giving any details out about the fire officer - I will visit him in the morning and speak to a family member (head of HR in Fire Brigade) about this in the morning as someone has mentioned about misconduct - I doubt it mind!
If these guys Tom Capeling and Steve Bryant who he mentioned have the clout they're supposed to have it's gone way past the HR dept mate

That's a very modern H&S take on it:
1. Raise the alarm 2. Fight the fire if practicable and safe to do so. 3. Evacuate. 1&3 are interlinked.

Somewhere this country lost it's sense of common.

I agree that is a sensible approach to it, but I certainly wouldn't be telling someone on the other end of a phone to go towrds where the fire is.

Just surprised that the fire crews weren't quoting to do the job themselves :)

Not in anyway directly connected with this thread, but pop into the arms and see my latest thread.

Have i ever said the main fuse was in the house? NO!
The meter was in the house not the blastard main fuse!

This thread has gone to the dead now! - Needs laying to rest!

Someone started with thinking the main fuse was in the house not me!

This tread needs closing!

No but you did say
he came back from Tesco to find his electric cupboard in flames! I tolded him to pull the main fuse and get on the phone to 999 - I arrived to find Fire Brigade there putting the fire out.

Which in a domestic installation would be a cupboard where all the electric distribution equipment is.

No but you did say

Which in a domestic installation would be a cupboard where all the electric distribution equipment is.

His house has a cupboard inside the front door which has the CU in and meter, also somewhere to put shoes, coats etc.
The main DNO supply is in the outside cupboard - I see the easy way to get confused - he made it clear that the CU cupboard was on fire - should of made this clearer in OP

Reply to Had an interesting call last night in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net