Discuss Hardwiring a 5v Google mini speaker in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all HNY.
I posted yesterday about installing a Google home mini in bathroom. Looks like this would be ok as on a 5v plug supply and in Zone 2. Although there is possibility speaker could get damaged due to condensation have explained this to person wanting me to install it but seems happy to take chance. It will sit in a permanent charging mount in bathroom. In terms of supplying it I would need to come off a socket on reverse side of wall. As I wouldn't want to have plug hanging out this wall I would rather hardware into it some way. Can I do this? Would it be possible to cut plug off of Google mini and wire into an appropriate 5v 1.8Amp transformer and then to socket? Any help would be appreciated

If you are a practising electrician (as you info says you are) then just comply with Section 701 of the Regs?

If you are a practising electrician (as you info says you are) then just comply with Section 701 of the Regs?
I posted yesterday to try to confirm my understanding of regs. I would appreciate it if you could point out where what I have described would not be in compliance. Device would be fixed and supplied at low voltage (5v) and safety source (transformer) would be outside zone 2

I would imagine this will completely void the warranty.

I see no electrical issue with installing a different PSU than the one supplied, as long as it is correctly specified. However it will still need to be put somewhere so doesn't completely solve the issue.

Wouldn't something like this be better? Waterproof and battery powered
Thanks Robson looks like that might be more sensible option if indeed links with rest of his home Google set up. I'll suggest it to him. Had quite a fancy gaff though and think he was hoping wouldn't have to continually recharge speaker

Reply to Hardwiring a 5v Google mini speaker in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net