Discuss Hardwiring a new appliance in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
My washing machine in a cupboard in our bathroom is hardwired into a blank plate. I presume installing the new washing machine will be easy enough by cutting off the plug and stripping the wires and inserting? There is an earth lead leaving the blank plate and attached to the washing machine - is this just for older machines or will there be somewhere to connect this earth to on newer machines too?
Picture attached.
Many thanks
GeorgeAE78C6C7-AC8E-482C-93B9-34A2DA896B40.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
May as well take off the blank plate and replace with a single socket.
I take it there’s a remote switch above for isolation?
I think the earth wire is to do with bonding, as in the olden days, all metal was linked together… copper pipes, radiators etc

A good opportunity to see if the circuit is RCD protected. Very much mandatory these days.

Seem to remember a little reg. about sockets in bathrooms! Was 3m, but now reduced a bit in the last amendment, IIRC?
its in a cupboard, off a bathroom.... so zones are a little more complicated.
Likely never going to be unplugged, but offers local isolation.

Reply to Hardwiring a new appliance in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all. So I'm designing my new kitchen and trying to plan where things will go. I currently have a 6 switch panel for the appliances (hob...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I have two isolation switches above a kitchen workcounter. They currently turn off the power to a pair of unswitched sockets which are...
Replies
Views
I purchased a new-build apartment 10 years ago, which came with a fitted oven and microwave. Both appliances are described by the manufacturer...
Replies
Views
A friend of the family recently lost her husband to the big C so I need to be careful. Every small thing is sending her into tears so when her...
Replies
Views
Hello My dear old mother tried to clean the tiles in our utility room by using a damp rag and I think some water may have dripped into our plug...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock