Discuss Have i done anything which is notifiable yet in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ukmicky

DIY
Reaction score
I bought a house due to the largish workshop /garage which was already kitted out with an electrical connection from the house. Unfortunately however the old previous owner liked to do his own electrics and had not done a very good job and connected to a consumer unit in the garage which has a 63 amp RCD and various MCBs via what looks like an old thick rubber cable (not armored) running from a 30 amp fuse in the house fuse box ,out through the wall and suspended it under its own weight between the house and garage . The insulation was coming off in chunks and it was causing the RCD placed between the isolation switch and fuse box to trip. So you will understand how bad things were with the electrics when I first moved in , to the shock of the British gas boiler fitter the house had no earth connection or anyway to isolate the fuse box so I got uk power networks to come and they changed the main fuse to a 100 amp one and connected an earth to the outside of the lead pipe that the supply came in on . At the same time i got an isolator switch and RCD fitted before the fuse box . Yes a new consumer unit will be fitted to the house.

Due to the above I decided to replace the old cable running to the garage and have ran 6mm T&G IN 25 mm steel conduit and bridged the gap 3 meters up at a place where it the conduit only had to span a 2 meter gap .

The supply is TNS so i exported the earth from the house and Inside the garage I earth bonded the conduit as well as the garage as its made out of metal. The old cable inside the garage was almost as bad as the cable outside so i replace the cable that come off the 32A MCB with 4mm T&G . Changed the cable that came off the 16 amp MCB to 2.5 T&G and also changed it to a 20 A MCB as it a radial with 4 sockets and 16 didn't seem good enough . I also changed the cable to the lights that run from the 6a MCB due to condition . I haven't connected it to the fuse box yet as I'm gonna get an electrician to fit a new consumer unit in the garage and probably the house and test everything .

Now in theory I've only replaced old and damaged cable and improved the setup by putting it in metal conduit where it runs outside but my neighbour reckons what I've done was notifiable work . So the question is ,is it .

If you havenot energised it yet then you haven’t done any ‘notifiable’ jobs yet.
In theory you could rewire your house and it’s not notifiable until it’s actually powered up.
The electricians who do the board change will need to see what you have done and haven’t done as part of changing the old fuse board.
thr grey area is to what extent that they adopt your work...

Welcome to the forum mate.

Due to the above I decided to replace the old cable running to the garage and have ran 6mm T&G IN 25 mm steel conduit and bridged the gap 3 meters up at a place where it the conduit only had to span a 2 meter gap .

The supply is TNS so i exported the earth from the house and Inside the garage I earth bonded the conduit as well as the garage as its made out of metal.

If the garage is an extraneous conductive part then the bonding needs to be 10mm. The earth inside a 6mm T&E is too small.

Now in theory I've only replaced old and damaged cable and improved the setup by putting it in metal conduit where it runs outside but my neighbour reckons what I've done was notifiable work . So the question is ,is it .

You have not added a new circuit or changed the consumer unit yet, so it's not notifiable.
Do you have an electrician who will connect the new CU and test the circuits? If so then ask him to also notify the work as well.

Thank you both for your comments

. Yeah the earth bonding in the garage is with 10 mm and held on using the proper clamps with the warning tags etc,

My main thoughts after my neighbours comment is what would the sparky need to adopt as he may not want to take responsibility for hard to see cable running through conduit.
Even though it’s been extensively rewired I figured only the installation of the new CU in the garage was notifiable as their are no new circuits . Personally I think the rules are dumb as I’ve changed so much cable it’s not that far off a new installation /circuit.

hard to see cable can be tested for integrity without seeing the hidden bit in the conduit. all depends on whichever spark you get.

going by OP, I'd replace the 6mm T/E with 3 core SWA, then the cpc would be adequate for earthing and bonding as it's a TN-S earthing system.

Reply to Have i done anything which is notifiable yet in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net