Discuss Have I got a big problem!? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Webby

-
Reaction score
Hi,
i'm currently working on a project where 10 flats are being built on one side of an old silk mill. We are having a new cable put in and the origin upgraded etc. This type of work has to be done by NERS registered electricians so an outside company recommended by the DNO came yesterday and asked for what each flat will be using current wise so they can do a cable calc for the supply, which is the following.
Boiler 9kw 50am breaker, ring 32a, ring 32a, oven 6.2kw 32a, heating 20a, lights 6a
This is then multiplied by 10 for the ten flats. Looking at diversity tables theres a strong possibility diversity cant be applied unless we could use column 2, heating & power - If not the cable size is going to be ridiculous as it needs to be in trunking, ratings go down etc.. What are peoples thoughts?

Is the incoming supply going to be 3 phase? if so the loads will be split over each phase so roughly 3.5 flats per phase.
Also you state that there is going to be 2 x RFC per flat?

Last edited:
Boiler 9kw 50am breaker, ring 32a, ring 32a, oven 6.2kw 32a, heating 20a, lights 6a

If you're using those figures as is, then;

I wouldn't want to pay the electric bill for any of those flats.
And I wouldn't want to be inside any of them with all the excess heat from those appliances running flat out 24/7.

I'm sure the NERS guys are sitting down somewhere chuckling to themselves.

There is only so much that can be plugged in, a basic flat next to nothing

its an old mill and they didnt want to, or couldnt put gas in so the plumbers themselves will have supplied the boiler, like the kitchen fitters the oven/hob etc..

Ok, so the boiler & oven/hob are already fitted?

This is then multiplied by 10 for the ten flats. Looking at diversity tables theres a strong possibility diversity cant be applied unless we could use column 2, heating & power - If not the cable size is going to be ridiculous as it needs to be in trunking, ratings go down etc.. What are peoples thoughts?

Why do you say there's a strong possibility diversity can't be applied? Over 10 dwellings diversity can definately be applied!
Your loadings seem very odd to me, it's almost as if you've counted the ratings of circuit breakers instead of actually calculating Ib.

If you've got a 9kW boiler why do you need another 20A circuit for heating?

I think you need a better electrical contractor.

Although diversity for a block of flats isn't exactly beginner stuff, the information you have provided (I presume has been provided by you by the contractor you've employed) is pretty duff.

Why do you say there's a strong possibility diversity can't be applied? Over 10 dwellings diversity can definately be applied!
Your loadings seem very odd to me, it's almost as if you've counted the ratings of circuit breakers instead of actually calculating Ib.

If you've got a 9kW boiler why do you need another 20A circuit for heating?
they are breaker ratings and the 20a for heating is just a radial going to a potterton economy 7 controller for controlling the boiler. I wondered if there was a diversity figure you could apply to there being 10 flats, its not something i have seen as yet though, thanks for the reply

I think you need a better electrical contractor.

Although diversity for a block of flats isn't exactly beginner stuff, the information you have provided (I presume has been provided by you by the contractor you've employed) is pretty duff.
According to you it is...

Reply to Have I got a big problem!? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock