Discuss Heat Alarm in the Kitchen in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

banny07

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi guys. I am wiring a kitchen extension and planning to install seprate CU for this. I have two questions if you guys help me finding answers.
1) do I need to install spd for this cu . existing cu doesn't have any.
2)There is no smoke alarm in the property and the owner is not interested to spend any money on installing me interlinked one's. Can I just install a heat alarm in the kitchen and leave the rest of the house? Please advise. Thanks in advance.

SPD, yes… unless you can get customer to agree in writing he doesn’t want one.

Heat detector… This can be added to in the future utilising radio interconnection… but you should press the point that they are lifesavers!

You don’t say a location, so I take it it’s not Scotland where there are legislation for smoke detectors

Hi, Spd is required by any electrical devices which releases lot of heat or sparks. So yes it is required. Regarding the smoke alarm, there is no specific law in installing a smoke alarm in kitchen but yes it is recommended.
I think you may be confused... A SPD or surge protection device is required to protect modern electronic equipment such as TV's, tablets on charge etc from overvoltage from lightning strikes on the incoming powerline, or other source.... which will prevent these devices from releasing a lot of heat or sparks.

As far as the regs go, the CUSTOMER can request not to have one, and must be documented in writing. (ie, that the cost of installing the SPD is more than the value of replacing said electronic devices)

And im sure many local councils will insist you fit a heat detector in a kitchen. The work will need notified to LABC anyway

Reply to Heat Alarm in the Kitchen in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net