Discuss Heat resistant cable connector in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I need to connect an infrared panel to the ceiling. The panel comes with a pre-wired 13amp plug, but it needs to connect to the supply left in the ceiling by my spark. Does anyone know of a quick release connector that is also heat resistant.

I need to connect an infrared panel to the ceiling. The panel comes with a pre-wired 13amp plug, but it needs to connect to the supply left in the ceiling by my spark. Does anyone know of a quick release connector that is also heat resistant.
What sort of connection has the electrician left ?
I presume this connection was specifically for this item ?

You’ll find the 13A plug supplied isn’t “heat resistant”.
The flex will be as it needs to be where it connects inside the heater, but not at the other end.

Why quick release? Is it likely to be taken down regularly?

I would think the supply cable and the flex would just go into a ceiling mounted switch fuse nearby.
Or leave the plug on it and fit a socket on a nearby wall if it’s close.

You’ll find the 13A plug supplied isn’t “heat resistant”.
The flex will be as it needs to be where it connects inside the heater, but not at the other end.

Why quick release? Is it likely to be taken down regularly?

I would think the supply cable and the flex would just go into a ceiling mounted switch fuse nearby.
Or leave the plug on it and fit a socket on a nearby wall if it’s close.
The isolator is on the wall, spark has left a quick snap connector on both ends. The heater is ceiling mounted and there is no room to have socket mounted behind it. The current connector is fine for clearance but the rear of the heater gets hot and I’m worried about the heat transfer to the connector. The flex is heat proof.

The isolator is on the wall, spark has left a quick snap connector on both ends. The heater is ceiling mounted and there is no room to have socket mounted behind it. The current connector is fine for clearance but the rear of the heater gets hot and I’m worried about the heat transfer to the connector. The flex is heat proof.
Have you a pic ?

A picture would help. If the connector is, say, 30cm away from the heater then heating-up shouldn't be a problem. Consider how many heaters have FCUs very close to them, and maybe a suitable connector a short distance away won't be a problem.
My previous post on this thread arose from installing infrared panels to a ceiling using the manufacturer's factory fitted 13A plugs, which were on 3m flexes, and the sockets were all at least 2m away from the panels. I checked that installation yesterday to see what the heat above the panels was, and it was minimal, and there was absolutely no indication of any excess warmth anywhere that would cause a problem.

A picture would help. If the connector is, say, 30cm away from the heater then heating-up shouldn't be a problem. Consider how many heaters have FCUs very close to them, and maybe a suitable connector a short distance away won't be a problem.
My previous post on this thread arose from installing infrared panels to a ceiling using the manufacturer's factory fitted 13A plugs, which were on 3m flexes, and the sockets were all at least 2m away from the panels. I checked that installation yesterday to see what the heat above the panels was, and it was minimal, and there was absolutely no indication of any excess warmth anywhere that would cause a problem.

Manufacturer's instructions for a good number of panel heaters stipulate 100mm between heater and connection unit.

I think the measurements quoted would be from a side edge... not vertically above/behind it.

Im beginning to think there's going to be some alterations to the wiring.....

I think the measurements quoted would be from a side edge... not vertically above/behind it.

Im beginning to think there's going to be some alterations to the wiring.....

Good point and I'd forgot this was ceiling mounted. Funnily enough I'd checked instructions on some APC heaters last week, for recommended distance from vertical obstructions, and this was also 100mm - I wasn't fully comfortable with that distance, but the manufacturer was.

instructions for a good number of panel heaters stipulate 100mm between heater and connection unit.
The panel is a Herschel Select XLS panel ceiling mounted. The instructions say the plug socket must be 200mm away from the heater panel for the wall and freestanding mount. The installation instructions for the ceiling say to use a qualified spark, which I have. You can have a ceiling mount with a 13 amp or outlet next to it; that would be stupid. The cables need to be hidden, and the spark run a feed from an isolator on the adjacent wall. I guess I could make a bigger hole in the ceiling and push the connector into the ceiling void, and just have the flex running out to the panel.

Reply to Heat resistant cable connector in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net