Discuss Help identify 7 pin relay in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dry Rot

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, I am new here. I am a farmer in the Highlands of Scotland working on an electrical fault in an old Massey Ferguson 390T tractor made in 1992. I think the fault may be in a relay. This is a 7 pin solid state relay labeled "warning light dimmer" on the circuit diagram (see below). The Lucas YWC10050 dim dip relay used in Land Rovers, Minis, etc. has the same pin configuration and I hoped it would work as a substitute, but some of the gear range indicator lights and others functions don't work. Are these relays, with a similar pin, configurations generic? In other words, are they similar but vary in internal connections and configurations? The relay does not have much information on it, let alone a circuit diagram. I've tried Massey Ferguson main dealers without much success. I don't think they are much interested in a 20 year old tractor! :) Where would I find out more about this relay? Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 09.04.41.jpg

Have you tried a vintage tractor forum?

Do you have a photo of just the relay and the pin configuration? I would assume they would be standard across all makes.

Have you tried a vintage tractor forum?

Do you have a photo of just the relay and the pin configuration? I would assume they would be standard across all makes.

These are the pins of the YWC10050 which is exactly the same as the relay taken out of the tractor. There were no markings on it except LUCAS D13 12V. Haven't tried a vintage forum yet. Now you mention it, I supposethe "13DA" means something. I hadn't noticed that. Here are some photos.

DSC_0591.jpg

839712-7424b5a886906ab7f2baad48ecfb1577.jpg
839713-9d0553a6f742fca3fa332574e724ad73.jpg

He has tried elswehere;

I found his thread on another forum, there's a picture of the relay on page 1

and another cracked open half way down page 3

He has tried elswehere;

I found his thread on another forum, there's a picture of the relay on page 1

and another cracked open half way down page 3

Yes, I keep trying! :) The 390 was a very popular tractor and it is odd no one can tell me anything about this relay. The tractor serial number is S50261 and I think the relay changed soon after. According to information on the YWC10050, when it is used in the dim dip circuitry of Land Rovers, Mini, etc. it can be dispensed with and ways to by pass it are explained on several forums because it ceased to be a legal requirement for this function.

Yes, I keep trying! The 390 was a very popular tractor and it is odd no one can tell me anything about this relay. The tractor serial number is S50261 and I think the relay changed soon after. According to information on the YWC10050, when it is used in the dim dip circuitry of Land Rovers, Mini, etc. it can be dispensed with and ways to by pass it are explained on several forums because it ceased to be a legal requirement for this function.
Source URL: Help identify 7 pin relay - https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/help-identify-7-pin-relay.181205/#post-1593546

I would be surprised if a Dim dip relay was equivalent , as plenty of circuits mess about wiring things in series , or adding a resistor pack to the circuit to dim it.
(that makes fault finding pretty confusing) ...
An electronic module -I would expect to be "Flickering things" fastly on/off
What symptoms do you have ?.
(What works when , if anything ?) ... Will have a look at matterial available If find time.

Reply to Help identify 7 pin relay in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net