Discuss Help in reporting an issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,
Early this year I had a garage extension built. The contractor arranged for an electrician to fit two strip lights and a couple of sockets . This was done. However, the contractor had not fitted the windows, doorsor guttering down pipe. The we had the bad storms in February, resulting in water form the garage roof draining out of the guttering but as there was no down pipe the wind caused the rainwater to blow into the garage. The switches and sockets were dripping with water - and the general weather didn't hep the situation. I boarded over the electrics and switched the power of to the garage at the main circuit breaker board. I informed the contractor and have done so on a regular basis since then. There has been no acknowledgment that this was a dangerous situation, even a formal letter requesting an explanation was ignored. I'd like to report the issue, but no one seems to want to help, that includes the local citizens advice bureau. What should I do?

Unless someone has been injured then you will not get much joy reporting this issue and even if you do get someone to take your complaint like a trade body ,the actual chances of getting it followed up are slim to none

Trading Standards should be able to help. have you paid the cotractor to fit the windows and downpipes?

Hi,
Early this year I had a garage extension built. The contractor arranged for an electrician to fit two strip lights and a couple of sockets . This was done. However, the contractor had not fitted the windows, doorsor guttering down pipe. The we had the bad storms in February, resulting in water form the garage roof draining out of the guttering but as there was no down pipe the wind caused the rainwater to blow into the garage. The switches and sockets were dripping with water - and the general weather didn't hep the situation. I boarded over the electrics and switched the power of to the garage at the main circuit breaker board. I informed the contractor and have done so on a regular basis since then. There has been no acknowledgment that this was a dangerous situation, even a formal letter requesting an explanation was ignored. I'd like to report the issue, but no one seems to want to help, that includes the local citizens advice bureau. What should I do?
Contact Trading standards? was/is the contractor a member of any trade organisation? if yes contact theses people, did you pay cash? or by check if the later the bank must have details of the payee, sometimes the merest threat of officialdom, causes back passage reactions, just saying

Last edited:
How come he left mid job, was there a falling out? Does your insurance cover it? To be honest the cost of replacing the sockets and switches must be sub £20, hardly worth the court of chancery.

Last edited:
How come he left mid job, was there a falling out? Does your insurance cover it? To be honest the cost of replacing the sockets and switches must be sub £20, hardly worth the court of chancery.
Hi,

The contractor was the builder and I believe the electrician was sub contracted. its not the cost of the replacements I'm worried about, its the fact that live electrics were left soaked with rain water. Although the works are now completed the builder refuses to answer any questions about this part of the job. I believe they know this should not pf happened and don't want to admit to any wrong doing.

Hi, I tired through citizens advice, but got nowhere in contacting Trading standards. The builder sub-contracted the electrician, so all payments were made to the builder. But the builder doesn't acknowledge the issue live electrics having rain water. I can't use the RIDDOR process as this has to come from the builder/electrician and they don't want to acknowledge the situation they left me with

do you have an installation certificate for the electrics?
was building control involved with the project?

I'm struggling with this one TBH.
Spark second fixed.
Builder didn't bother his arse boarding up the doors and windows.
Bad storm.
Things got wet.
You switched it off.
Builder finished.
Presumably the switches and sockets were dried out or replaced and then re energised?
Not an ideal situation but hardly worth wasting your time and energy over surely.

Reply to Help in reporting an issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net