Discuss Help with a dead circuit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

ArtTDIY

DIY
Reaction score
I have a dead circuit in my kitchen that I am trying to fix. it seems to be a simple run from the panel to on outlet using BX cable to a first outlet and then a Romex cable from that outlet to a second outlet. I have identified every outlet, light switch and fixture in the entire house and the two outlets are the only ones I can't due to the dead circuit. I have checked all adjacent outlets to see if there is a weak connection and I only have one GFI outlet which is working properly and not feeding other outlets. In addition I checked for continuity between my neutral and ground which was good leading me to think those wires are good back to the panel. I also tested every breaker in my panel and the wire as it left the breaker (in case of a loose connection in the breaker) and they are all energized. I was in the kitchen using my shop vac when the circuit went dead leading me to believe it is a loose connection.

I have tried to use a tone chaser, but it didn't work I believe due to the BX shielding the tone. I also tried a non-contact voltage tester to identify a dead cable but that didn't work I believe also due to the BX.

I have attached a picture of the back wall of my kitchen where the outlets are. The orange line is the BX cable to an outlet behind the wall and the blue is a Romex cable from the outlet behind the wall to the one in front you can see in the picture. I believe I see the cable come up from the wall into my attic through the top wall plate. Unfortunately there are 3 other cables and I can't be sure which one comes from the dead outlets. My best guess goes from that location through my attic back to the panel so I believe I am not looking at it correctly because there should be no problems based on what I can see. I would like to positively identify the cable to give me assurance I am looking at the right one and hopefully that would lead me to the problem. What would an electrician do?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Art

TL;DR
Tried everything I can think of to fix a dead circuit

Attachments

• kitchen circuit.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 3

Reply to Help with a dead circuit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net