Discuss help with building regs in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

marty1234

hi
some help required i am wiring a new exstention to a house and building control have told me i cannot fit flush mounted sockets our switch to an boundray wall . i can only fit them surface i phoned them today a was told the only way i can do this if i run the cables ( twin & earth) in trunking and fit fire ret boxes into the wall this is behind the jiprock has anyone done this

when i worked on a job in nottingham the appartments were divided by double fire boards at each side and void in between, we had to fit these special dry lining box's. but that was to seperate dwellings. is this gonna all be the same dwelling?? your saying that the existing exterior wall is now an interior wall and you wanna fit sockets on it and labc say you cant?? sound like tripe to me!! but then im often wrong!!

I've never heard this before but then again i don't often ask that sort of question. Did LABC give you a reason?. If it's fire protection you can either use special intumescent seals in the boxes (pricey) or fireseal sealant in all the holes. The intumescent seals are the right size to fit into a KO box and are the same fabric as smoke hoods. Easy enough to fit as long as you're not fitting flat plate into 25mm but expand to seal the aperture when subjected to fiery heat.

yeah we fitted the dry liners with intermescent seals on them, thats was only because there was another dwelling next door tho.. is this just an extension thats still part of the same dwelling?

so if its classed as the same dwelling and not another property then dont see why it needs any more protection than any other socket etc??

yeah that van is a tranny connect with a focus rs turbo lump bolted in getting sideways! driven by tiff needel, have a look on youtube!!

Ask him to point out were in the "Electricians guide to the building regs" it says that this is a requirement ... thinks he is talking out his arse myself

Ste

Fire protection should only be necessary (i'm pretty sure) if there is a danger of fire passing through a fire rated wall ( or ceiling) to a normally inhabited area. I have had recommended that I shouldn't recess sockets because of damp but this shouldn't come up in new build.

thanks for the info i think the reg are out off order . but building control can come and look and i am also getting select to come and test me on the job so it has to be right so i dont know where i am on this

ps steve this looks like you :eek:

hi
some help required i am wiring a new exstention to a house and building control have told me i cannot fit flush mounted sockets our switch to an boundray wall . i can only fit them surface i phoned them today a was told the only way i can do this if i run the cables ( twin & earth) in trunking and fit fire ret boxes into the wall this is behind the jiprock has anyone done this

Marty Is this a timber framed extension or a brick/block with drylined walls?

Reply to help with building regs in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock