Discuss Help with pricing for council wetrooms.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

WillWX

-
Reaction score
Hi,

Hoping someone can help me on a pricing issue, if that's allowed.

I'm looking at taking on some work wiring council wetrooms (shower, light, extractor fan, etc).

The price list I've been given is pretty poor, the prices are seriously low in my opinion.

I wondered if there was someone on here that has maybe had experience in this work that could guide me on what to counter offer the contractor with..

Feel free to drop me a PM and I can share with you the prices for each item.

Thank you in advance.

what are they offering? is it labour only or supply and fit? let'shave a bit more info.

Sorry, its supply and fit.

I'll just post up the average bits for now that would be the spec for the majority of wetrooms..

Labour, cable & switchgear:

Wire in shower circuit in 10mm cable, including trunking: £55
45amp pull cord: £14
6amp light pull cord: £4.50
Fitting extractor fan: £26
Fitting sealed light: £14
Certification: £10

Then obviously materials on top.

They'll pay 40p per mile.

Sorry, its supply and fit.

I'll just post up the average bits for now that would be the spec for the majority of wetrooms..

Labour, cable & switchgear:

Wire in shower circuit in 10mm cable, including trunking: £55
45amp pull cord: £14
6amp light pull cord: £4.50
Fitting extractor fan: £26
Fitting sealed light: £14
Certification: £10

Then obviously materials on top.

They'll pay 40p per mile.
i used to do wigan coucil special needs wetrooms ,waste of time ,they wanted me to supply and fit an outside light for £20 inc materials ,you can,t even buy one for that price

That's very poor rates. £80 ish for a new shower cct! Including mats!! Could easily take 3hrs to do. I think McDonald's probably pay more!

Good luck though mate.

That's very poor rates. £80 ish for a new shower cct! Including mats!! Could easily take 3hrs to do. I think McDonald's probably pay more!

Good luck though mate.

What would you think would be reasonable to counter the items above?

I am friendly with the contractor, but I was almost a bit insulted after sitting down and going through it.

top of my head, that's c. £100 for the total labour. what if the fan has to be core drilled? what about checking/testing/earthing and bonding? installing RCD if needed?bloody joke. double that would be tight. tell him to do one.

If they pay 40p per mile with all them other prices it's probably better to spend the entire day driving and not make it to the job.

You can counter offer with what you want, but based on those prices you have no chance

A polite thanks but no thanks.

I'd love to but I'd have to turn down more profitable jobs to do it.

Or

Sorry but if I do these it will tie me down and I won't be able to do the more profitable jobs when they come in.

Basically.. not on your friggin nellie ya chancer. :)

I did some council wet rooms for some of their tenants with disabilities. Did it subbying for another electrician. I have no idea of the pricing, but he wanted it done quick as, so guess things were tight.

The whole installation is done on a shoe string, on a spec provided by the council. All the electrics done surface, and supplies to bathroom all new run back to a new small CU. It was quite soul destroying. For example, one tenant had painted tiles above her old bath. Bath was ripped out for new shower, builder put new white tiles where bath had been, nice green/white combo. Water tight floor was installed after new toilet fitted, flooring cut round toilet base. I was asked to refit tenants down flow heater, only place it could of gone, was fixed to a louvre cupboard. I was told to screw the door shut & fit the fan!

It's work Jim (Will), but not as we know it.

They will always find somebody to do it for nothing, if you have enough work to keep you going then walk away, with a polite no thank you to the builder [just in case you need to deal with him in the future].

Reply to Help with pricing for council wetrooms.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net