Discuss help with wiring of timer in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net

I don't understand what this means, I'm Irish not British also and I can work on more than flats and homes if that's what you mean
M29 what I was saying was get to know a person before you Judge them, I don’t claim to be the best electrician but I’m not the worst. What y’all do in electrical is a different world in what we do. No hard feelings

M29 what I was saying was get to know a person before you Judge them, I don’t claim to be the best electrician but I’m not the worst. What y’all do in electrical is a different world in what we do. No hard feelings

Don’t get me wrong we have our share of so called electricians who are in my opinion are idiots

It is pretty obvious assuming the whites are neutral but was hoping one of our American members could have helped as this was an ideal thread for them to advise.

Amadauss - sorry this thread has gone a bit off track with banter!

Your original switch has only two black wires, the hot coming in and the switched hot going to the light. The timer however also needs a neutral, so that it has both hot and neutral to power its electronics. You need to find whether there is a neutral present at the switch that is part of the same circuit as the hots.

We can see some white wires, these may be:
a) Neutrals from the correct circuit, in which case the timer can be connected without any rewiring.
b) Neutrals from different circuits, which must not be used.
c) Not neutrals at all, white can also be a permanent hot in a switch cable, or a traveler in 3-way setup.

We might be able to work this out if you can show us the wiring behind and attached to the other switch. Also, is the light that the other switch operates, fed from the same breaker in the panel?

Sorry for being such a simple question but just need help attaching wires in correct location. Right now have a simple off/on switch and want to replace with a timer. The switch now controls a light and it is the only one connected for it. so somewhat simple but.....I am just not sure on which to connect where off the switch to the timer? I attached photos so if anyone can help me out, greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Ahamad unfortunately that new switch you bought is not going to work with just 2 wires and I’ve got to agree with telectrix because it’s going to need a neutral. You really need to call an electrician to help you out. That’s old wiring but a code change in 2017 edition states that when we pull wires to a light switch now we have to pull a neutral also because of this very problem of all the new switches coming out now needs a neutral to work. I’m sorry I’m not going to be able to help you please call an electrician

Reply to help with wiring of timer in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net