Discuss help in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

irnbru

Hi i`m looking to take a electrical course and i need help ....
I`m concern that when I finish my intensive course and pay lots of money i`m not going to find a electrical company to employ me because of no experience. So before I make a mistake.... can anybody tell me if there is a company that will take me in (as a novice) after i finish the course or before i`m not fussed i just want to get a job in this industry . And hopefully around the London south east area. many thanks.

irnbru, i have done what you are planning on doing and its a nightmare trying to find an employer. Even the agencies don't really want to know as they have loads of sparks with experience to chose from at the moment.

If I could go back then I would do it through a college and just accept it takes longer.

From my experience as soon as the course provider has your money then they stop giving a damn. Be very careful who you go with. Do a lot of looking around!

Good luck.

Hi Irnbru

Be very careful, a lot of these, "get your electrical qualifications fast" courses are very expensive, and all they want is your money.

Once you have finished your course, or are doing your course, it's very hard at the to find someone to take you on so you can get some experience. - Just look in the "Electricians Unite-Jobs in Your Area" section of the forum. Here you will see many lads advertising, to work for low wages, or for free, just to get a start in the trade. - The way it's going the next ting is we'll be advertising to pay someone to let us work for them.

If you really want to get into the trade, get yourself along to your local college or JTL, and find out about doing an apprenticeship program. This won't cost you anything for your training, and if you start finding out about it now, it'll be to start next September, and perhaps by then the economy may be a bit better by then and more job openings.

David

Hi, I looked into one of the "Quick Train" programs before deciding on the college route and I am so happy I did.

I am currently doing my City and Guilds 2330 (1 year @ 1 day a week) and will them progress onto my NVQ2 & 3 the following 18 months.
I am not sure how old you are but been 30 myself nobody wanted to help with apprentiships so I paid for the course myself. In all my course will have cost me around £2400 which is a lot less than the £6k most companies charge for the intensive. Also once you get on the course, get your ECS card and potential employers will take you a little more serious.

I wish you all the luck with this and if you need any help regarding courses etc, I will gladly do my best to help.

thanks guys for all the replies, they are being very helpfull . i`ll keep looking at this thread just in case someone comes up with an idea ... i`m not going to give up just yet .thanks once again .

hi eskimo,
where are you doing your 2330 for it to only take a year??
i did mine 2 nights a week and it took 2 years for level 2 and a further year for level 3, so 3 years in total.
if you do day release for a year that still only gives you level 2 :confused:

I am at college all day every Friday (8am - 5:30pm), we are covering C&G 2330 over the first year and then the college has stated between 16-24 months for the NVQ 2356. However after speaking to numerous lecturers I have been informed that it is the lower of these 2 figures for anyone with a good level of competance. I think they just give the 24 months to allow re-sits of exams etc which have to be rebooked.

I believe at the end of Level 3 we are required to sit an AM2 exam before finally qualified.

I have also arranged to start a 4 full day Inspection, Testing and Certification 2392-20 early next year.

Sorry to be a little vague but I can only go off what our lecturers say. How many hours a week were you covering? I don't suppose you have any coursework from the NVQ :)

Last edited by a moderator:
our course didnt include nvq3.
the 2330 covers level 2 and level 3 qualifications.
our college does it on day release, 1 year for level 2 and 1 year for level 3.
i did the 2391-10 earlier this year and am currently considering 2391-20 design for my next course so best of luck with it ;)

I am at college all day every Friday (8am - 5:30pm), we are covering C&G 2330 over the first year and then the college has stated between 16-24 months for the NVQ 2356. However after speaking to numerous lecturers I have been informed that it is the lower of these 2 figures for anyone with a good level of competance. I think they just give the 24 months to allow re-sits of exams etc which have to be rebooked.

I believe at the end of Level 3 we are required to sit an AM2 exam before finally qualified.

I have also arranged to start a 4 full day Inspection, Testing and Certification 2392-20 early next year.

Sorry to be a little vague but I can only go off what our lecturers say. How many hours a week were you covering? I don't suppose you have any coursework from the NVQ :)

Eskimo

I don't think the is a 2392-20 but there is a City & Guilds 2392-10 Fundamental Inspection,Testing and Initial Verification course which is a level 2.

2391-10 is the full inspection, testing and certification which is level 3 and 2391-20 (formally 2400) is the Design, erection and verification and is also level 3.

I would check to see which course you are doing if I was you?

Last edited:

Reply to help in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net