Discuss Hey guys I’m new, obviously. Can you help? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I stumbled across this forum when I was looking for advice on a couple of electrical jobs in my house. I’m not qualified in any sense and have no experience, but I’m a practical person and these jobs seem too minor to pay someone to do. The first one is to change an old brown dirty ceiling rose. I thought it would be easy to copy what was there already, but it’s an older house with wires I wasn’t expecting to see. Also the rose I have now has a different set up. An L with 2 screws. A loop with 3 screws. An N with 3 screws and an earth screw. Are those solid green wires the earth? What I really want to know is how do I determine which of the two red and two black wires that are bunched together, go into which box? I watched some videos online but I’m still unsure, and really don’t want to get it wrong. If anyone has any pointers I’d be really grateful. Thanks all. Clare.

Hey guys I’m new, obviously. Can you help? A12D6F8D-1416-489A-8CA8-763735716B77 - EletriciansForums.net

Welcome.
The wiring is normal, the colours are old.
Green was the colour for earth it is now green and yellow.
Red was line now brown
Black was neutral now blue
Ensure you have the power off when making changes to the wiring, better to have dead wiring than dead human.
The wiring translates to a modern ceiling rose as in the diagram below. Ideally one core into each terminal but because the ones you have are twisted together it may be hard to separate and straighten them without them breaking.
Hey guys I’m new, obviously. Can you help? Light batten holder to batten holder wirin - EletriciansForums.net

Thank you so much for that reply. You made it very easy to understand, and I now have a clean and new ceiling rose. Apart for the wires being a bit short, it was simple. Well maybe a bit fiddly untwisting those connected wires.

Reply to Hey guys I’m new, obviously. Can you help? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock