Discuss Hiring an electrician - Etiquette in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

jwblue

DIY
Reaction score
When hiring an electrician is it considered bad etiquette to ask if it is ok for me to go to Home Depot myself to buy a part? I get it costs time nd money for an electrician to go to the store to pick up a part so there an upcharge. It would cost $30.00 for me to buy the part. I am being charged $65.00.

Part of that uplift in the charge is also to cover call backs if the item develops a fault...If you supplied an item and it needed to be replaced as it was faulty or developed a fault then you'd be charged for the return visit, whereas if electrician supplied the parts there should be no charge for any call backs (within a reasonable time frame of course, usually 12 months)

Some people will refuse to fit customer supplied parts because they are of unknow supply source and quality (they may even be fake replica parts)

I personally will fit customer supplied parts if they are suitable for the application.

however as mentioned above, if 3 weeks later the part in question falls apart of fails in any other way, the return visit will be charged at full rate plus travel. (if I had supplied it, then i bring a free replacement and fit it for free as any reasonable tradesman should)

the other problem that can happen when customers supply parts is sometimes they are wrong or unsuitable for the job,
e.g.
circuit breakers that are the wrong make to fit the distribution board
light switches that match the decor but have the wrong function (2 way instead of 3 way or intermediate)
lights that are not suitable for the location (unsealed fittings in bath rooms or other steamy places)
if the part being fitted is faulty or DOA (Dead on Arrival)

the issue with problems like listed above is that I will not have purchased the correct ones if you have said that they will be on site waiting.
therefore if it then takes me 2 hours to purchase replacement parts, it will be added to the bill at my standard hourly rate.
alternatively, i sit in the van reading the newspaper until you return with the correct parts but you still have to pay for my time.

Ultimately you may be able to save $35 by buying it yourself but this is at the risk of having to pay an extra $150 if there is a problem with what you bought.
not to mention the fact that you warranty for any work done will not cover replacing any parts that fail.

When hiring an electrician is it considered bad etiquette to ask if it is ok for me to go to Home Depot myself to buy a part? I get it costs time nd money for an electrician to go to the store to pick up a part so there an upcharge. It would cost $30.00 for me to buy the part. I am being charged $65.00.
I personally wouldn’t have a problem with you buying the materials. I look at it like you are paying me for my knowledge not for me running all over town looking for parts. Good luck but Company’s mark up there material around 12%

Reply to Hiring an electrician - Etiquette in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock