Discuss Hot IP66 Socket when using EV 10A Charger in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I use external weatherproof socket (IP66 20A 2gang ) for charging EV car, but noticed plug/socket gets hot.
The charger is rated 10Amps.

I checked cable connections on socket (& tightened) + checked EV charger 13Amp plug (and fuse) which look good.
This is on a dedicated circuit with isolating switch (13Amp fuse) rated 20Amp that controls the outside unit/socket. Nevertheless, temperature (plug & socket) appears to be above warm, but not burning hot (I can touch both without getting a burn).

I'm trying to understand:-
-Is this normal ie it's due to a sustained load ie 10hours at 10Amps, or
-Poor socket/plug connection, or
-Not such good quality IP66 box/switch?
As to the EV charger itself the plug looks good; As to it's fuse I had trouble pulling out/putting back so connections seems tight.

Why not dedicated 7KW EV unit/cicuit?
I could, but I do really very low mileage & TBH to charge overnight it's ready in the morning so it would be wasted on me.

Appreciate any advice/thoughts?

What size cable is the circuit wired in?
If it's too small then it will get hot and heat up the terminals in the socket.
Though, bear in mind that PVC insulated cables are designed to run at a normal operating temperature of 70⁰ C anyway.

Granny chargers aren't designed for prolonged use. However there are IP rated socket-outlets designed to be suitable for granny charging (but this still isn't for prolonged use) - these are specifically marked as suitable for EV charging.

You really should be getting a proper Mode 3 EVSE fitted.

What size cable is the circuit wired in?
If it's too small then it will get hot and heat up the terminals in the socket.
Though, bear in mind that PVC insulated cables are designed to run at a normal operating temperature of 70⁰ C anyway.
Thanks for quick response! Cable is 2.5mm.
One other piece of info is this circuit is connected to the old (16A fuse wire) metal CU (it has 2 fuses, but only 16a is used). Is it simply duration of EV charger in use causing temp or I should'nt trust this at all?

I think it might be a good idea for an electrician to take a few test measurements and have a look at the circuit design, for peace of mind.

I think it might be a good idea for an electrician to take a few test measurements and have a look at the circuit design, for peace of mind.
Thanks. I will try charging on internal socket (ring main) see if similar behaviour. As to having a Mode 3 EVSE is an option, but the manufuacturer recommends (slow charge) as most optimum for EV battery, which was the reason I'd not taken up getting one. But I will definitely have local electrician check external circuit & socket.
Thanks for your time.

More than likely the clamps within the socket that the plug pushes into are worn, this will cause overheating. You also get this with the cheaper makes of socket-outlet.

Reply to Hot IP66 Socket when using EV 10A Charger in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock