Discuss House Earth in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

gorilla

Just wanting to get some opinions about a Earth issue.

Now I'm only a student just now so not that sure about the regulations and that when it comes to electrics.

Basically a family friend was supposed to be getting a new central heating system installed on Friday by Scottish Gas, but the job couldn't be done because the house wasn't Earthed, the electrician that was there said he couldn't sort that and the electric board would need to come out to sort it.

Now I find this kind of strange as I thought that in the UK a house always has an Earth Connection and also if one had to be installed an Electrician could do it.

So since there was no Earth her new central heating system wasn't installed and won't be done for at least three weeks.

I was just wanting to know about Earthing a property (I'm not doing it Scottish Power are coming out to do it) and what is the standard thing to do if an earth isn't found.

Do you mean the 10mm ,s to gas meter and incoming water, or do you mean there is no earth in the property as a whole?
If its the gas and water bonds don,t get the board to do it, it will cost the earth, beg the pun but it would, you put em in be a lot cheaper for yer freind.

this is strange obviouly there should be an earth in one of 3 common ways, tn-s the earth is taken off the sheath of the main incoming cable, tnc-s the earth is taken from the neutral connection of the main cut out fuses or tt where a copper stake is driven into the ground. the 1st 2 ways are easy to spot. i suspect either the main cable sheath is broken underground (have only seen this once in 20 yrs) or the stake connection has come off or is damadged tnc-s is unlkley to be damadged

if you get a chance have a look at the mains coming in and see if anything looks like my previous description if the whole house has no earth the electricity board would surely fix this asap if not even quicker(same day )

if you get a chance have a look at the mains coming in and see if anything looks like my previous description if the whole house has no earth the electricity board would surely fix this asap if not even quicker(same day )

I'm not able to have a look at it, but the electricity board isn't in a hurry they said it could be a week before they come to sort it.

I'm not dealing with it either it is her family that is but, from what has been said about it I'm beginning to think that they didn't want to do the job on Friday. It is just annoying me though as I thought most homes would be earthed in some way, not heard of any not being earthed.

A common problem in older properties where the earth used to be the gas and water pipes, now that most of these are now plastic some houses have been left with no earth.
The electricity board will either change to TNCS or put a clamp on the incoming cable sheath

really if the whole house has no earth it is seriously dangerous im sure the elec board wouldnt leave it

Well from what I am told they will be out next week.

This whole thing just doesn't add up and well from what I remember the last time I was doing a few things for her I'm sure there is an Earth point somewhere around the meter. I am also sure that the gas meter is earthed as well as the water supply.

It is just looking odd and from what has been said here you all have confirmed basically what I thought, that the company brought in to do the central heating is just not wanting to do the job.

Have you connected your EFLI tester to find out if there is actually an earth coming from somewhere?

Nope. As I said I haven't had chance to go down to have a look due to college work. But from the last time I was doing work for her I am very sure that there is a earth connection at the mains feed. As well as the Earths on the gas meeter and water supply.

All I know is that Scottish Power have confirmed that they will be out on Tuesday. So I'm not going to have a chance to be down and see before then so just need to wait and see what happens now.

Keep us posted.

Interested to hear the outcome, and if possible, some pics!

Won't be able to do pics, as I am not going to get there until it is sorted. I just found out about this this morning after being told that the electrician refused to do anything because there was no earth connections. Something I am finding very difficult to believe.

I will post Scottish Powers comments about it and if it was just a case of the company not wanting to start the job, it really does look like it is. Just need to wait and see now.

yeh i would have thought there would be an earth, if its a tns the connection maybe loose, if its a tt then there may not be a conection to the earth rod. just do a zs in the house at some sockets and lights...maybe at the db try a ze if there is a 16mm earth cable.....and if you get a reading then there would be an earth, ooher.

OK just thought I would update this.

Scottish Power came out yesterday to look at this and they advised that the house was indeed earthed adequately, including at the gas meter and water supply.

However the Earth connection that was available wasn't up to the current standards (what a surprise the house is just a wee bit old). They didn't see why there was any need for them to be there as all there equipment was in full working order and all earthed.

They did suggest that to improve the Earth connection that a copper bar would need to be inserted into the ground and then connected into the house system. They could do it but it would cost a lot more compared to getting a independent electrician to do it.

So basically the electrician that the gas board supplied, has caused a lot of bother as he didn't want to do a job that would only take a hour at the most.

I would go and do it but since I'm just a lowly Electrical Engineering Student I think I will leave it to another family friend to sort who is a qualified Electrician, (who will more than likely have me doing it while he drinks his coffee and watches to give me a wee bit experience)

Do you mean the 10mm ,s to gas meter and incoming water, or do you mean there is no earth in the property as a whole?
If its the gas and water bonds don,t get the board to do it, it will cost the earth, beg the pun but it would, you put em in be a lot cheaper for yer freind.

Johnny,
I had to put a 10mm protective conductor to the incoming services in a 1930's house I was working in recently.

It raised an old chestnut re the water main.
Should you bond to the lead (probably the first 10meters of pipe) or the copper (the last 0.5 m where the kitchen cold tap was) ? or doesn't it matter provided that the right type of clamp is used.
Whats the view?:confused:

can they not just upgrade the system to a tncs? just out of interest does anyone know how much this costs, if any price, to the consumer?

can they not just upgrade the system to a tncs? just out of interest does anyone know how much this costs, if any price, to the consumer?

Scottish Power don't do it free. They can charge anything from a couple of hundred up wards. I did supply a list of questions for our friend to ask since I couldn't be there and the Scottish Power electrician was good and wrote down the answers for me, and all the questions were answered the way I thought they would apart from the cost one as I thought it was a free service as well.

sirocco, you bond to within 600mm on the consumers side of the cold water stop tap, or where its practicably possible after that, and that goes for lead or copper.

Reply to House Earth in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock