Discuss Housebashing wiring helped in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Shpark

-
Reaction score
Hi all, not a housebasher here, so don’t hate. Wiring my house and need advice. Want to mount the CCU just below the ceiling and bring the cables from the floor above. How do a nicely bring the cable off of the beam so they’re on the wall and then will go into the back of the fuse board? Pics attached

237CC7EA-D059-4A6A-9EA6-E2EDD36A70DD.jpeg
C37048A2-58BB-49E6-B71E-3F958A7F68F7.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume the cables aren't dropping behind the beam so they drop down the brickwork.

I’m going to be the daft one for saying it’s a bit high for a Cooker Control Unit

Consumer Unit. CU… not CCU

Although we can help with some aspects, even a bog standard house rewire can kick up a few problems if you’re not used to the work.

Ask anything, and try not to be put off by some comments.

I do agree with mounting the CU at a more suitable height.

Not sure I would butt the consumer unit right up tight to the ceiling as would mean getting the steps out to reset the rcd / rcbo (unless you have a low ceiling or are very tall)
Maybe bring the cables down tight in the corner and have the consumer unit in a little box cupboard at low level >?

Looks like you may have to put a box around the beam to cover it and give a bit of space for cables

A couple 25mm holes as a diagonal from the mid point to pop out through the base of the joist might work but not strictly in the spirit of the regs

Would prefer to take a bit out of the wall behind it, but much would depend on the situation above. I don't like the idea of outgoing circuits plastered into the wall and would aim to provide some means of routing future additions by boxing a bit of the corner. I guess this is one of those situations where 50 people will give 50 different answers.

Reply to Housebashing wiring helped in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net