Discuss How can I use a 16A charger on a UK socket? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I have a customer who has bought a 16A charger which will obviously only charge at 13a from a UK socket. Their question is would the be able to use the full 16Amps if they have a 32Amp breaker? Thanks

Unfortunately, it WILL NOT obviously only charge at 13Amps if plugged into a 13A socket.

Most likely it will pull 16A if the battery is near flat and blow the fuse in the plug.

Read the instructions, I expect it will require a dedicated 16A socket.
Also, take note of any requirements for rcd type and possible ground rod.

Unfortunately, it WILL NOT obviously only charge at 13Amps if plugged into a 13A socket.

Read the instructions, I expect it will require a dedicated 16A socket.
Also, take note of any requirements for rcd type and possible ground rod.
Hi, thanks for your message. It is a variable charger that can operate between 6A and 16A so it is defaulting to 13A and charging fine.

It is a variable charger that can operate between 6A and 16A so it is defaulting to 13A and charging fine.

Unless it's got a built in camera with optical detection of socket types, there's no way the charger can detect it's plugged into a 13amp socket and or detect it's a circuit with a 16, 20 or 32amp MCB /RCBO protecting it and default to 13amp charging.
It's going to 13amp charging for other reasons.

In what capacity is this person your customer, do you own a shop and you've sold them the charger, are you electrically competent and you've been called to their property?
What make / model is this charger?

If it came with a 13A plug attached then it will be limited to 13A
If it is a charger designed for hard wiring then it is possible that there is a selection switch inside to change maximum current draw.

Read the instructions, I expect all the answers are in there.

Unless it's got a built in camera with optical detection of socket types, there's no way the charger can detect it's plugged into a 13amp socket and or detect it's a circuit with a 16, 20 or 32amp MCB /RCBO protecting it and default to 13amp charging.
It's going to 13amp charging for other reasons.

In what capacity is this person your customer, do you own a shop and you've sold them the charger, are you electrically competent and you've been called to their property?
What make / model is this charger?
Hi, it is an electric vehicle charger which you can manually change and set between 6A and 16A. The maximum charge it will allow is 13A from a UK socket. The question I have been asked is is there anyway it can reach 16A from a UK socket using and adaptor?
[automerge]1575643286[/automerge]
If it came with a 13A plug attached then it will be limited to 13A
If it is a charger designed for hard wiring then it is possible that there is a selection switch inside to change maximum current draw.

Read the instructions, I expect all the answers are in there.
Thanks James

Ok, understanding better now, answer is NO.
There is no way to draw more than 13A from a 13A plug socket.
You are limited by the plugs fuse.

Does this come with a standard BS1363 3 pin plug attached? Running at 13 amps will cause damage to the socket outlet over time.

With a charger such as this there may very well be current passed through the earth conductor meaning other requirements have to be considered for high earth leakage. What do the manufacturers instructions say?

Does this come with a standard BS1363 3 pin plug attached? Running at 13 amps will cause damage to the socket outlet over time.

With a charger such as this there may very well be current passed through the earth conductor meaning other requirements have to be considered for high earth leakage. What do the manufacturers instructions say?
Hi, if it has variable settings that can be set to 13A would it still damage the socket?

afaik, ev chargers must be on a dedicated circuit of their own, there are other factors also regarding earthing. (unless, of course, it's little johhny's remote control F1/SUV/BIGFOOT.)

Hi, if it has variable settings that can be set to 13A would it still damage the socket?
Constantly drawing 13 amps will eventually cause damage to the socket, how long depends on the manufacturer and quality of the socket and plug.

Does this charger come with a 3 pin plug already attached?

Ok, understanding better now, answer is NO.
There is no way to draw more than 13A from a 13A plug socket.
You are limited by the plugs fuse.
Sorry for a newbie question, but if you have 240v x 13amp available at the socket and you only need to charge a 60v battery for example, wouldnt it work then because the total power required (60v x 16amp) is less than 240 x 13amp?

Yes the concept is correct but there are other factors to consider that will increase the AC input current above the value calculated from the charge rate.
1) Charger losses might add up to 20%
2) Power factor, if not actively corrected, might add another 20%
3) Charging voltage is higher than battery nominal voltage so charging a 60V battery at 40A might take 70V at 40A.

Reply to How can I use a 16A charger on a UK socket? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net