Discuss How many lights? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Evening all...

I am struggling a little to design the lighting for this large shed.

The size of the shed is 12m x 6m and approx 5m high.

The owners want it to be very bright in there.

I have attached a scale drawing which shows x10 battens in 2 rows of 5.

The lights to be used are JCC ToughLED (1500mm, 49W, 4500 lumens), they will be suspended by chains.

I'm thinking perhaps my design is too much, perhaps 2 rows of 4 or maybe even 3? I have not used these fittings before so am finding it difficult to visualise. I have also contacted JCC who will be e-mailing me a design tomorrow but to be honest I find the ideas/thoughts on this site generally more useful than the manufacturers views.

Cheers guys.

x10 LED batten.jpg

75cm between fittings = overkill.

I'd suggest 2 rows of 3 looking at the drawings but if the client has requested the northern lights then maybe you should go 2x4.

Go with what JCC come back to you with. They have all the fancy programmes to work out the best layout for their own products. You also have the benefit of a comeback should the design be unsatisfactory in any way as they have specified the design layout. Work smarter, not harder.

I recall the manual calcs from college being based on trigonometry and quite involved to work out just the lux on a given surface from a single light let alone working out the overlapping light patterns and their effects.

But to get the correct design back from JCC you'd have to specify the average illuminance required. Different individuals perception of 'Bright' or 'very bright' would differ considerably, a lot to do with the age of the owners and the condition of their eyes really.:) I reckon 2 rows of 4 fittings would do the trick though.

The JCC fittings are very bright! I've used quite a few. I have one in my garage and it's like daylight at night! I would order one in, and temp wire it with a plug top so you can appreciate the high level of light. They're brilliant. Chanel docs cheaper Version (£50) and it's exactly the same.

The JCC fittings are very bright! I've used quite a few. I have one in my garage and it's like daylight at night! I would order one in, and temp wire it with a plug top so you can appreciate the high level of light. They're brilliant. Chanel docs cheaper Version (£50) and it's exactly the same.

they also do my lady's fav. perfume.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I advised the client that JCC will be contacting me tomorrow with a design but they are now adamant they want 2 rows of 4... so thats what they shall get! My local 'Wilts' also said that I could take one away with me and fix it up for the customer (very nice of them) so they could see how bright they are, but the client feels convinced they want the 8 lights! I feel content that I have given them some choices and they have made a decision.

Are you giving them the option of just having say half the lights on if required, rather than all or nothing? Daz

Are you giving them the option of just having say half the lights on if required, rather than all or nothing? Daz

I've already given them that option Daz and they prefer to have them all on one switch.

Just downloaded... absolutely no idea what was going on!! Far too fancy for me Lee but thanks anyway :)

Its going to have some work benches around the side and also will have a large motorhome kept in it and also other vehicles, tractor etc.
Presumably the client 'wants it bright' so they can see what they're doing on the workbenches; you wouldn't need a lot of light to be able to see a motorhome, especially if it's a big one.
With that in mind I'd be tempted to concentrate the light on the workbenches, maybe lower them to about 2m above the centre of the workbench, then the vehicles will be adequately lit by whatever spills or reflects from the task lighting around the edge. Maybe add a couple of 'fill' battens in the centre at high level.
By the sound of it the client has something specific in mind, so it might be worth just blindly following their instructions, that way they can't complain at you if they don't like the end result.

Reply to How many lights? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net