Discuss How to avoid double post merging... in the Need help with ElectriciansForums.net? area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dan

Staff member
Admin
Mod
Supporter
Reaction score
... click edit on your last post.

Simple as that.

You can also click "+Quote" on any number of posts. Even missing some in between, and then scroll to the text input area and click insert posts.

Then reply to each one. Then click post reply.

That's called multi-quoting.

Or like I say, rather than being lazy and just clicking reply to each individual post, click edit on your last post. Perhaps use the @name to get the attention of who you're speaking to.

But there is no reason a thread should have 5 people posting once each. Then you have 5 individual posts one after the other with no break between them from other members.

That looks dodgy to Google. And that's the main reason behind it.

You kill a threads ranking positions in Google when you reply 5 times with 3 words per reply. Kinda thing.

If you don't want to do any of the above few options. Expect the double post merge to kick in and do it for you.

Personally it doesn't bother me. It sticks a date in it which becomes a link and you can click that and go to the post you're replying to. I find it handy.

Hope that helps. :)
[automerge]1567186650[/automerge]
Eg. As I was the last person to post here in this thread, and I am now replying to it. It is double merging my two posts.

How could I have avoided it?

Simply click edit on my original post.

Most usergroups have between 20 and 90 minutes to edit their post. More than enough to quote somebody else in it.

I tend to try and read the whole thread, and add one reply to it. Either multi-quoting or just saying their username.

Fred: this is what I want to say in reply to you.

Alan: this is what I want to say to you.

Uncle Pete: this is what I want to say to you (you're a star unc)

Fred: your other post you posted I am saying this in reply to.

Not sure why we are not getting it. The plumbers have.

*Runs off

Last edited:
Just click edit on your post mate.

If somebody else has replied after you, you can reply as normal and it wont kick in.

If you are the last person to reply, why not edit your post (you have between 20 and 90 minutes to do that depending on your usergroup level) instead?

I wondered what the 'Merge Post' thing was about.
20 mins is good enough to edit a post, as sometimes I read the post and miss the change when they edit it 15 mins afterwards.
90 mins of edit, I would miss more edits.... If you know what I mean...

I wondered what the 'Merge Post' thing was about.
20 mins is good enough to edit a post, as sometimes I read the post and miss the change when they edit it 15 mins afterwards.
90 mins of edit, I would miss more edits.... If you know what I mean...

That's exactly what I think too. :)
Im still waiting for a medator to check me spelling for its handed out .
You keep triggering the plonker-detector system. It'll stop once you've stopped drinking I think. ;)

@Dan I'm still a little confused as sometimes I no longer seem to have an "edit" option ,that did last 20 mins.
( Is there a way I can re-post a similar "corrected" version and rely on merge to
conceal earlier posts failings ?)

--I don't want to fall off the edge -of the learning curve --
(those darn Flat-Earthers have got me worried)

@Dan I'm still a little confused as sometimes I no longer seem to have an "edit" option ,that did last 20 mins.
( Is there a way I can re-post a similar "corrected" version and rely on merge to
conceal earlier posts failings ?)

--I don't want to fall off the edge -of the learning curve --
(those darn Flat-Earthers have got me worried)
It's back now for you. Please only use it when you're correcting mistakes or adding more info or quoting people.

When you delete your posts using it, it screws up a thread. :)

Reply to How to avoid double post merging... in the Need help with ElectriciansForums.net? area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock