• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss How to get started on big contracts in the Commercial Electrical Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lip.82

Active EF Member
Hi
I'm hoping to get some advice so I can start to move in the right direction, I'm wanting to know what qualifications and anything else I need to get on some big contracts and earn some decent money, I've currently got my C&G L2 & L3 and waiting to do my regs and testing and inspecting. I've been in the game for about 6 years but everyone keeps telling me different things. Could anyone point me in the right direction please

buzzlightyear

please let me back in to the prison cell.
Electrician's Arms
you must crawl be for you can run. looking at your post you are only half way their .are you working for some body or self funded doing your now 2391!

andysparkfree

Regular EF Member
I've always found its who you know, not what you know ....... word of mouth or right place at the right time .....

buzzlightyear

please let me back in to the prison cell.
Electrician's Arms
Hi
I'm hoping to get some advice so I can start to move in the right direction, I'm wanting to know what qualifications and anything else I need to get on some big contracts and earn some decent money, I've currently got my C&G L2 & L3 and waiting to do my regs and testing and inspecting. I've been in the game for about 6 years but everyone keeps telling me different things. Could anyone point me in the right direction please
it is like trying to get on the housing ladder.

Lip.82

Active EF Member
you must crawl be for you can run. looking at your post you are only half way their .are you working for some body or self funded doing your now 2391!
Hi thanks for the reply. I'm working for someone doing domestic and commercial. I've been putting myself through college on a evening course and just waiting to do the regs etc

andysparkfree

Regular EF Member
good luck ! it defiantly sounds like your putting the effort in ... so good contracts just around the corner hopefully !!

bcm_spark

Electrician's Arms
Get in touch with the big firm, balfours, spie, ng bailey, amec or whatever they are called now. They all usually have decent jobs running but be prepared to work away from home, weekends and usually binned at the end of the job.

Also, the big jobs, in my experience are heavily policed in terms of breaks and start and finishing times. 10 min tea break not one minute more, 30 min lunch and again not one minute more, shouted out cabin etc. Clock out even 1 second early and prepare to be quartered. I even know of one lad, left early on last day before Xmas, lost all his stat holidays and full months bonus.

But, they are great jobs to be on, plenty of good lads who all look out for each other and real good earners...1k plus per week after tax plus holidays, pension etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrician Talk

Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.