Discuss How to repair an ECU that has damaged pins? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello, first post here.

I've had a problem with oil making its way to the ECU, likely due to a faulty oil pressure switch, and this has caused me to clean it several times. As a result, I have damaged some of the pins - most bent, one broken.
ECU pins damaged - https://Upload the image directly to the thread.com/a/mhmj5

I'd like to have a go at repairing it but would like advice on how best to go about doing it.

TBH you would struggle to sort those pins out, you'd probably break a couple. Professional repair is really your only option.

It is as above , you have nothing to lose by trying . You could try soldering a wire to the broken pin and solder it to the corresponding wirein the harness if you can manage to straighten the other pins out.
What kind of car is it ?

Some French vehicles have an issue with this...
If not replacing original male/female connector (not always possible),then there are generally two other methods available.

You could isolate the damaged pins,dismantle the ECU,and bridge the offenders. This may require making another opening in the ECU,to allow the bridge to exit,and connect further up the loom.

The other method,is to remove the ECU connector completely,mark up corresponding pins/sockets to wires,and either bridge directly,or connect with your own method of disconnection,in between.

The downside of these type of jobs,is you would only take it on,as a labour of love,or if stuck half-way across the Gobi desert.

The minute the last soldered joint has cooled...your gearbox will blow up :)

Is the plug mounted directly to the pcb inside the ecu?

Another option might be to get another one from a scrap yard, but this will probably need programming and coding to the car. But perhaps you could salvage the connector from another ecu to attach to yours.

The broken ones wi be difficult the ben ones can be straightened out with long nosed pliers as I have sorted out many a monitor cable in the past.

It might be possible to drill down a couple of mm on the broken pin and then solder in a new pin, this will not be very solid so if the connector is at all loose it will move. Warming the pins before using pliers to straighten them may help relieve stresses, but may melt the ECU or damage the circuitry!

I had a thread about an ECU a while back with corroded pins which I managed to resurrect. I'll see if I can find it.

Thank you everyone for your help. I managed to straighten out the pins with a pair of tweezers and a ballpoint pen with the cartridge taken out. I thought this would be enough to rectify some of the issues I was facing but there wasn't any noticeable difference.

I've looked at a pinout diagram for my car and the broken one corresponds to cylinder 2 of the injection valve. This shouldn't prevent my car from starting so I believe my ECU is a faulty one

Reply to How to repair an ECU that has damaged pins? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock