Discuss How to set up limited company in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

An accountant is the place to start ...... It's more complicated than you think.

Why do you want to go limited?
not many agencies pay CIS. I sent my tax returns for 2016/17 and was told by accountant that as payments were over 45k I have to pay more tax instead of of getting anything back.

Hum. That's the reward for hitting the next tax rate ....

It's not just about payments to you ... What about your tax deductable expenses?

As above speak to an accountant setting up as a director costs about £20 for an of the shelf entity.

For the shares you are advised to issues 12 shares then you get a basic pay of about £640 per month minimum NI pay in and any pay you receive will b in dividends, keep all receipts you can also go zero VAT route as well as it saves you a few pennies, I was in IT contracting and was LTD Co and the money coming in was far better then PAYE or Umbrella Co.

You need to know what your earnings are as if they are low it may not be worth it I think over £45k might be okay but again speak to an accountant.

George Osbourne made changes to de-incentivise taking dividends rather than paye

As above speak to an accountant setting up as a director costs about £20 for an of the shelf entity.

For the shares you are advised to issues 12 shares then you get a basic pay of about £640 per month minimum NI pay in and any pay you receive will b in dividends, keep all receipts you can also go zero VAT route as well as it saves you a few pennies, I was in IT contracting and was LTD Co and the money coming in was far better then PAYE or Umbrella Co.

You need to know what your earnings are as if they are low it may not be worth it I think over £45k might be okay but again speak to an accountant.
At the moment it is going to be over 45k but thinking what will happen if I go limited but can not reach 40k . Will there be a penalty?

Just type in Limited Company into your search engine, and you will get loads of sites which will sell you a Ltd Co for less than £30.
Some sites also offer to arrange a business bank account.

Once you have obtained a Ltd Co., you will have to register it with the CIS people as a Contractor.
They will issue the Ltd Co with a UTR No.
To use the Ltd Co for agencies, you will need Public Liability insurance. How much insurance (1mil, 2mil etc.) The Ltd Co will need, will depend on the various Agencies.
For the Ltd Co to be paid by the Agencies, you will need the Companies House registration number, the LTD Co’s UTR No., the Ltd Co’s bank account details and a copy of the Ltd Co’s public liability insurance.
You can let the Ltd Co. employ you as an employee, or as a sub contractor.
In either event, the Ltd Co. will have to file end of year accounts with PAYE/CIS, Companies House and Corporation tax.
Depending on how you pay yourself, you will probably have to file a self assessment.
Tax will be deducted at source, unless you can persuade tha CIS people to allow the Ltd Co. to be paid gross (unlikely in the first year of trading).
You will have to ask for a form from the PAYE/CIS people to offset the deducted tax.
I believe Santander do a free business account, most of the other banks will start charging after 18 months or 2 years.

Thanks for detailed information you gave.I think I need to speak to an accountant. what will happen to utr number I already have.Can this be not used?Can I use my own address as business address or I have to use accountant's office as my address. Cheers

A Ltd company has its own UTR number, different from your personal one (it is a different legal entity).

You can use your own address as the registered address if you wish.

You also probably have to submit monthly PAYE returns to HMRC as well as part of their real time reporting. You can pay an accountant to do this for you or you can download a program from the HMRC website that you can use to send your EPS or FPS returns and notify HMRC of any CIS deductions that have been taken from your Ltd company's income by the agency or client.
You could go to Companies House website and set up your own Ltd co for £13 or there about, but there are a lot of processes and legal requirements you'll be liable for as a director.

Last edited:

Reply to How to set up limited company in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock